Is there a way to keep raw data cells in line with cells that have imported data (see post for better explanation)

Kimber33

Hi everyone,

My problem is this: I have a spreadsheet that I import data in to columns A:E (name,site,contract,manager and Id) next to this in columns F:Q is manually entered data (skills). What I want to happen is when the imported data is updated, the names etc move up and down, and I want the cells in the manually updated columns to move in line with the changes. I should also note that all columns have an autofilter (if that makes a difference) Can this be done??? Please help, I've not got a lot of hair left!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Hi Kimber, are you sorting or filtering the imported data to move it up and down? If so you can extend the sort/filter to the manually populated cells - or do you need vlookups to populate columns F:Q based on criteria in the imported cells, references in vlookups can be fixed with $s
Jess

Upvote 0
Hi Kimber, are you sorting or filtering the imported data to move it up and down? If so you can extend the sort/filter to the manually populated cells - or do you need vlookups to populate columns F:Q based on criteria in the imported cells, references in vlookups can be fixed with $s
Jess

Hi Jess,

Thank you for your reply, vlookup is not used on columns F:Q and the autofilter has been expanded across the manually updated columns as well. However when the imported data is refreshed, the rows in columns F:Q stay the same and don't move. This causes the data in manual cells to be out of line with imported data. I used the autofilter as I thought this would keep them in line, but it doesnt

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh right, I can't remember that version very well, do you use the wizard and specify the destination? You can choose between pasting entirely new rows or columns or overwriting existing data somewhere in the process

Upvote 0
Yes I specify the destination, and have chose the option of overwrite with new data and clear unused cells.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gb24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back