Is there a way to preserve my original file and never overwrite it?

cmazur71

Board Regular
I have a spreadsheet that runs a series of macros, that lets a user import data, clean and reformat the data, then SaveAs another file name. I don't want to ever overwrite the original file.
I am using this code to try to SaveAs another name, but sometimes the original file is still getting saved. Is there a good way to ensure that my original file never get overwritten once the macros have started?
VBA Code:
Sub SaveAsAnotherFile()

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    TodayDate = Format(Date, "yyyy-mm-dd")

NewFileName = TodayDate & " Quotation " & Range("E1") & " - " & Range("B6") & " - " & Range("A11")

FileSaveAsName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(NewFileName, filefilter:="Excel Files (*.xlsm), *.xlsm")

If FileSaveAsName = "False" Then
        Do
            MsgBox "Please save this as another file before continuing...", vbOKOnly
            FileName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(NewFileName, filefilter:="Excel Files (*.xlsm), *.xlsm")
        Loop Until FileName <> "False"
    End If

ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:=FileSaveAsName, FileFormat:=52
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True

End Sub

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
You can save it as read only.

To the best of my knowledge, you can't change this on an existing workbook, so here's the method that I've used previously (long winded, I've tried to include all steps).

Close the original file (all users if it is shared), then go to the file in the windows file browser and rename it (I usually just append 'old' to the existing name).

Open the renamed workbook, then go to File > Save As.

If you see the 'Save As' dialog box / popup window (older excel versions) then you're good for the next step, otherwise click on 'More options' (office 365, possibly excel 2019).

In the Save As dialog / popup, change the file name to whatever it should be (original name), then click the Tools button next to Save.

Select 'General options' then check the Read only recommended box, enter a password to modify (leave password to open empty).

Click OK, then Save.

Without the password, users can open the file as read only and edit anything, but they will not be able to save the changes to the original document, any attempt to save will warn the user and open the Save As dialog for them to save a copy of the file.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back