IS THERE ANY WAY TO DO THIS WITH THE CONTROLS EXCEL HAS...

chazrab

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
The images below explain in much less words I can describe. When a user first clicks on this apps combobox(or whatever
this control is, the following occurs in sequence:
1. A
or userform(or whatever this control is) list automatically drops down giving the user a book choice to click on
2. Once a book choice click is made, another smaller userform[table?] drops down giving the user a chapter choice to then select
3. Once book and chapter choices are made(and stored in memory ), a third smaller userform list drops down
giving the user a choice to select a verse. Each selection is stored in memory.

Once a button is clicked, the FIND method should go right to the Book chapter and verse and display that result in a userform textbox i.e. --> Matthew 24:15.

I tried this with a userform and Labels and the image MYTRY below. My initial thoughts is that that its crude and mundane with labels
and I really don't want to invest new time in a learning curve with something like Visual Studio or some other app that is better designed for this - but if I have to, I will.
Userform code:

Code:
Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
Me.Top = 10
Me.Left = 5
End Sub

Private Sub ZECH_Click()
ZECH.BackColor = RGB(0, 200, 255)
Sheets("BIBLETEXT").TextBox1.Value = "Zechariah"
Sheets("BIBLETEXT").TextBox2.Value = "Zechariah"
End Sub
Next steps would be to add code to open two other userforms, one after the other as an itme on each is clicked,
and replicate what the app images does below. T he beauty of all this is it involves NO TYPING AT ALL. Only successive mouseclicks.

I really need a higher level of experience help on this to accomplish what I have described. Please someone, reach out to me
and help if you can.

Many thanks and much appreciated.

cr

Attachments

• BOOK LIST DROPDOWN.jpg
    BOOK LIST DROPDOWN.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 12
  • CHAPTER LIST POPS UP ON ANY CHAPTER ITEM CLICKED.jpg
    CHAPTER LIST POPS UP ON ANY CHAPTER ITEM CLICKED.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 12
  • VERSE POPS UP ON ANY CHAPTER CLICKED.jpg
    VERSE POPS UP ON ANY CHAPTER CLICKED.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 13
  • MYTRY. USERFORM WITH LABELS.jpg
    MYTRY. USERFORM WITH LABELS.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 14

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Not sure how much any of this will help. The right tool is probably Access, but it has a long learning curve to achieve a really sound db. You can muddle something up quicker if you're not too particular about how robust it needs to be. I thought there must be a db template that would get you started should you choose that route, but I got a lot of 2016 (etc.) Access Bible titles because it's the title of a long standing Access book series. I did a bit better with
"ms access" holy bible chapter and verse database template:

I'm beginning to think this would make a good project for somebody because I've been seeing posts quite a bit lately. I might be a bit biased as I'd never try to do what you're doing in Excel, but I guess I have that luxury. Anyway, what you'd want in Access is a single form (or form/subform design) and cascading combo boxes for this.

Upvote 0
Hi Micron - all points well taken. This is the most comprehensive development I've undertaken with Excel code and controls.
I have the KJV already downloaded. John Walkenbach did this project years ago and put it out there for people to use. He's probably
one of the most experienced in Excel.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back