Is there any way to get rid of the table sort buttons?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Tables have the little sort buttons on every column. Is there any way to get rid of them? In my opinion, they are a useless waste of space for most columns. They just clutter up the headers.

If I right-click a header and select Sort and then Put Selected Sorting Icon On Top, as I did with the Exact column below, I get a little up arrow. This is curious since the table is not sorted on that column. I got a stern warning about disparaging the M$FT developers, so I'll leave it at that.

What would be really helpful is to eliminate the icons completely and then add the little arrows for those columns that are actually sorted leaving all the rest free of clutter. If they wanted to implement it right, they could add a little sort order number with the arrows to indicate sorting on multiple columns.

ymmv

The mini-sheet did not reproduce the sort icons or the little arrow and it screwed up the column widths. Here's a screen shot of how it really looks:

1641135021187.png

Temp.xlsm
BCDEFG
22Total number of games (trials)
30.5Probability of winning any 1 game
5ProbTotNExactCum
Prob Under
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B6:B8B6=Prob
C6:C8C6=Total
E6:E8E6=BINOM.DIST([@N],Total,Prob,FALSE)
F6:F8F6=BINOM.DIST([@N],Total,Prob,TRUE)
Named Ranges
NameRefers ToCells
'Prob Under'!Prob='Prob Under'!$C$3B6:B8, E6:F8
'Prob Under'!Total='Prob Under'!$C$2C6:C8, E6:F8

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
To remove the filter buttons, first make sure that any cell with your table is selected, then do the following . . .

Ribbon >> Table Design tab >> Table Style Options group >> uncheck Filter Button

Upvote 0
Solution
To remove the filter buttons, first make sure that any cell with your table is selected, then do the following . . .

Ribbon >> Table Design tab >> Table Style Options group >> uncheck Filter Button
That does indeed get rid of the filter buttons. I discovered that I can still sort a column by right-clicking anywhere in that column, selecting Sort, then the sort order. I do lose the indication that it is sorted (sigh). Would including that little arrow would be such a chore?

Thank you.

PS: I wonder why that didn't come up when I did a search. Probably because I didn't use the term "filter".

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back