Is this possible

dylan 83

I own a production company that tours bands and sound a lighting equipment. I have 'road cases' that store all of my equipment that are padded out by foam. With a wooden frame and metal corners, catchs and handles.

I was just wondering is it possible to design a workspace that I could use to put in the demensions of a case that I would need to build, then have the worksheet calculate the amount of materials I would need and at what lengths I would need to cut each panel or metal strip.

Is this possible. Any hints into the right direction would be awesome

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Possible? Most likely. Actually, I should think there are other tools out there specifically for this kind of thing, but if there are formulas and a process to describe what you start with, and what you want to end up with, Excel can probably do it.

Upvote 0
How do you do this process now? If you can figure it out by hand, with a calculator, or with some other tool, chances are that Excel can do it for you.

Upvote 0
I was just wondering is it possible to design a workspace that I could use to put in the demensions of a case that I would need to build, then have the worksheet calculate the amount of materials I would need and at what lengths I would need to cut each panel or metal strip.
Sure it's possible, but as a carpenter, I can tell you that unless you'll be building a lot of these (i.e. in the business of building road cases), you'll be building an estimator that's probably not worth the net effort on your part, unless you want to make it an application that's saleable. Personally, as much as I rely on Excel, for carpentry I don't (but I'm not a commercial or journeyman carpenter). I use the old HP12c and pad of paper/pencil to do my estimating, and rig a lot of jigs. (I've also worked around enough j-men who can do near most of it in their heads...)

But a question: my wife worked for the Obie Company (headed up Metallica, Van Hagar, Stones, Floyd, No Doubt, etc.) and they used pre-made cases purchased from a case company (many custom dimensioned). And wouldn't you want injection molded or fiberglass laid, not wood?

Check out this link to a fairly detailed estimator for roofing from the folks at OzGrid: http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/excel-roof-cost-estimator.htm You could contact Dave Hawley, OzGrid's owner and see what he thinks. It might be something that he could turn around...

A Google search turns up a lot as well: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=excel+calculating+lumber+needed+for+a+project

Interesting concept though...

Hope that helps,

Smitty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notmrdurden

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back