Is this protection possible?

DamonK

We all know that sheets protected with passwords are never totally secure as there are a number of available password *******s for excel.

I had the thought that maybe it would be possible to have a worksheet that is not protected when saved but when it is opened there would be a sub-routine under Sub_Workbook Open that would step through each sheet and assign a random password. And when the workbook is saved it is saved without passwords again.

In this way there would be nothing for a password ******* to pick at. The only flaw I see would be that the password to open the VBA module would need to be static and this would open up the programming to change and remove. But wouldn't this be effective against most users who would only know about the utilities to open the passwords and not the programming behind excel?

Anyway that was my thought does anyone think this would be feasible and or useful?

What would be needed for me to create a workbook and be reasonably comfortable that even if I post it online, that it won't be cracked
A strange definition of "reasonably comfortable". :)

To view one workbook does not require cracking the password, it requires breaking the encryption and there are online services that will gurarantee that. They won't retrieve the password though so you have to do the same decryption process for every workbook.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Reasonably comfortable in that it's likely that my password of "aSikec,e8*3e" will hold up.

I know that Excel uses an extremly weak encryption by default (which has worked to our advantage when we lost a password) :)

But also under Options/Security, I see many encryption types, RC4, Microsoft Strong Cryptographic Provider, RC4, Microsoft Enhanced RSA and AES Cryptographic Provider (Prototype) and many others. I'm guessing that using those would make it incompatible with Excel 2000 or 97, but would it make them unbreakable by the hacking programs in that it would take them years, not days?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back