Is thorough SQL server knowledge required for Business Intelligence career??

mrxlsx

Board Regular
Hi All,

Happy New Year to all of you..

I am an Excel Power user, Excel trainer, BI enthusiast slowly getting into teaching Business Intelligence using Microsoft Excel's PowerPivot. A few years back I was bitten by a bug called Power-BI. I am not a person too good at programming languages. But I am in the business of teaching and consulting of Microsoft Excel.

Here is the problem.. For the last few years.. I was trying hard to enter into BI world. My goal is to learn BI using Excel's PowerPivot. But when I started looking at it..things are not so easy for me as I thought..ie. there are some concepts related to cubes, DBA concepts, running reports and queries to access data from different sources, tabular modeling..etc. It's a big mountain which is very steep for me. Now my question is..

To teach or to become a hardcore Power BI Analyst (using PowerPivot, Power Query, Power Maps, PowerView etc), shall I have to master all these Database concepts too deeply?? Shall I have to master concepts related SQL server's SSIS, SSAS, SSRS services. Why because we need to master DAX code in PowerPivot which will slowly take you to SQL environment in some other way. But If I take this SQL path I will become Database guy and moreover I do not like it and I can not fit myself there. If the answer is Yes, to what extent I have to learn these database concepts. You can ask me any questions to understand my situation more clearer.

Thanks in advance.
Arjun M Shetty

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Hi Everyone,

Please answer this question as I have been waiting to be clarified for the last couple of years. Is something wrong with the question i.e. posting etiquette and rules not followed or it just not attracted anyone's interest. Please let me know. Thank you so much all.

Arjun

Upvote 0
I know this does not answer your question (nor could I), it is just an observation...
I have been waiting to be clarified for the last couple of years.
- you posted this 4 days ago - hardly a couple of years lol?
- I see nothing wrong with your post, nor it's etiquette, nor have you broken any rules (that I can see). It is probably just a case of the right people have not viewed your thread yet.

Upvote 0
Hi FDibbins,

What I mean is, I have this question un-answered in my mind for the last couple of years not the other way as you mentioned. Thank you.

Arjun

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back