ISBLANK formula doesn't work because the cell has a Lookup formula

tropics123

Board Regular
Hi guys, I ran into a roadblock and was hoping someone could shed some light. Row 1 is the header. There is currently lookup formulas in all cells starting on C2. My formula in G2 is basically looking if C2 is blank, then move on to pull in a value from C2 and if C2 is blank then move onto D2, and so on. However, the issue is, those cells even though they look like blank, there's a lookup formula in them so my formula doesn't work. Is there a formula that can do what I'm doing but ignore the lookup formula in those cells and still consider them as blank? And all cells return blank then put in value "N/A". Thank you in advance!

Here is my formula:
=IF(ISBLANK(C2),IF(ISBLANK(D2),IF(ISBLANK(E2),IF(ISBLANK(F2),"N/A",F2),E2),D2),C2

Column AColumn BColumn CColumn DColumn EColumn FColumn G
NAMEADDRESSDATA 1DATA 2DATA 3DATA 4Final Answer
=IF(ISBLANK(C5),IF(ISBLANK(D5),IF(ISBLANK(E5),IF(ISBLANK(F5),"N/A",F5),E5),D5),C5)

How about:

=IFERROR(TRIM(INDEX(Database1!$1:$1048576,MATCH('Combined Database'!$A$1,Database1!$K:$K,0),MATCH('Combined Database'!$B346,Database1!$A$1:$IU$1,0)))+0,"")
Thank you DanteAmor! Your formula worked!! Just curious, why does switching the order of TRIM & IFERROR and +0 add back the date format?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
I'm glad to help you. Thanks for the feedback.

The Trim function returns the numerical value of the date, to return it to date it can be achieved if you add 0.

Upvote 0
I'm glad to help you. Thanks for the feedback.

The Trim function returns the numerical value of the date, to return it to date it can be achieved if you add 0.
Sorry.....update. For some reason the +0 removed the text from the cells. For example, if the cell was pulling a date then the formula worked fine but if it's pulling in text such as "Bob Smith" then the cells in columns C, D, E, and F are now blank.

Upvote 0
I think you should fix the source cells that are returning blank space.

Either way I fixed the formula:

=IFERROR(IF(ISNUMBER(INDEX(Database1!$1:$1048576,MATCH('Combined Database'!$A$1,Database1!$K:$K,0),MATCH('Combined Database'!$B346,Database1!$A$1:$IU$1,0))),INDEX(Database1!$1:$1048576,MATCH('Combined Database'!$A$1,Database1!$K:$K,0),MATCH('Combined Database'!$B346,Database1!$A$1:$IU$1,0)),TRIM(INDEX(Database1!$1:$1048576,MATCH('Combined Database'!$A$1,Database1!$K:$K,0),MATCH('Combined Database'!$B346,Database1!$A$1:$IU$1,0)))),"")

Upvote 0
I think you should fix the source cells that are returning blank space.

Either way I fixed the formula:

=IFERROR(IF(ISNUMBER(INDEX(Database1!$1:$1048576,MATCH('Combined Database'!$A$1,Database1!$K:$K,0),MATCH('Combined Database'!$B346,Database1!$A$1:$IU$1,0))),INDEX(Database1!$1:$1048576,MATCH('Combined Database'!$A$1,Database1!$K:$K,0),MATCH('Combined Database'!$B346,Database1!$A$1:$IU$1,0)),TRIM(INDEX(Database1!$1:$1048576,MATCH('Combined Database'!$A$1,Database1!$K:$K,0),MATCH('Combined Database'!$B346,Database1!$A$1:$IU$1,0)))),"")

You did it again! Worked perfect this time!! Many thanks for all your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back