isblank

Stclements1

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to leave a cell empty if the correspondending cell has no date in it.
In column B cells b9:b44 there are dates. These dates are based on the value in cell b3. If the value in cell b3 is 1 column b will show 12 dates (b9:b20) if the cell value is 2 it will show 24 dates (b9:b32) and if its 3 it will show 36 dates (b9:b44).
If there is a date in say cell b9 then this calculation (B2*(B4*12)/365)*(B9-B1) is done in cell c9 and so on b10 to c10 etc.
If there is no date in the b cell I would like the corresponding c cell to remain empty but because I have dragged the formula through cells c9:c44 if the value in cell b3 is 1 dates will show in cells b9:b20 (represents 12 months) and the remaining b cells in the array b9:b44 will be empty but in the corresponding c cells it returns the word "VALUE" . Is there a way that I can maybe add the isblank formula to my existing (B2*(B4*12)/365)*(B9-B1) formula in the c column so that if there is no date in the b cell the corresponding c cell remains empty. I did try it and it returned SPILL so clearly I was doing something incorrect.

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
If it shows #VALUE! then you only need to trap the error,

=IFERROR((B2*(B4*12)/365)*(B9-B1),"")

#SPILL is an excel 365 error, if that is what you're now using please update your profile to show this.

Upvote 0
Many thanks for that it has worked perfectly and as mentioned I have now updated profile. Although whilst the calculation in column c leaves an empty cell where appropriate I have the formula in column E cells E9:E44 $B$2/$C$3 which again I only want the calculation to be done if there is a value in the corresponding D cell so I tried in cell e33 IFERROR(IF(D33>1;$B$2/$C$3);"") and whilst there was no value in cell d33 e33 still did the b2/c2 calculation and returned a value. I also tried with just the IF statement and that to returned a value in E33

Upvote 0
There is a difference between blank and empty. The error method worked on your first formula because you were trying to perform a mathematical operation on a blank cell.

An empty cell has a numeric value of 0, a blank cell evaluates as text, which is greater than any number.

=IF(D33="";"";$B$2/$C$3)

Looks like you forgot to save when you updated your profile, it still shows 2016 at the moment.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apwr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back