ISNUMBER Help

SkiliedSin

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hello,

So the cell contains "MattressSofaCouch-1", I currently have the isnumber function to identify whether it is a mattress, sofa or couch but I need an adjustment to the formula to designate the "-1" as the color black.

Right now when I use the ISNUMBER formula and add the "-1", it pulls Mattress first instead of "black", is there any way to adjust the formula to not pull the first "Mattress" but rather display "Mattress - black"

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Hi, Can you please some sample data and the formula you are using.

Upvote 0
Sure,

"MattressSofaCouch", "MattressSofaCouch-1" are some examples and the formula I am using is =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Mattress",D1)),"Comfy",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Sofa",D1)),"Hard",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Couch",D1)),"Soft",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("-1",D1)),"Black","")))

The issue is that the formula sees Mattress first so pulls Comfy instead of Black.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sure,

"MattressSofaCouch", "MattressSofaCouch-1" are some examples and the formula I am using is =IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Mattress",D1)),"Comfy",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Sofa",D1)),"Hard",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Couch",D1)),"Soft",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("-1",D1)),"Black","")))

The issue is that the formula sees Mattress first so pulls Comfy instead of Black.
Test for the "-1" first in your chain of IF function calls, not last as you have it now. That way, if "-1" is in the text it will be found first and you can return "Black" for it... if "-1" is not in the text, then the next thing searched for would be "Mattress" and so on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi SkiliedSin, without going into any other changes below should work for you:

Code:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Mattress",D1)),"Comfy",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Sofa",D1)),"Hard",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Couch",D1)),"Soft","ERROR")))&" "&IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("-1",D1)),"Black","")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back