isnumber match (I think)

ronie85

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, i hope someone can help.

I am trying to search for a persons Initials (AB) which are contained within the current workbook Cell D10. My formula will be inputted into E10.
The range I would like to search this on is in another sheet and range called 'Week 2'!M9:N17

This value will be contained within a cell however with other initials such as AB,BC,DE,FG

I need to formula to search for the first cell occurrence and then return the value within the adjacent cell 'Week 2'!L9:L17
I will then have the same formula within Cell E11 (using Cell D11 as the source) for which i want it to return the second cell occurrence
And then Cell E12 (using Cell D12 as the source) for the third occurrence

I have a similar search formula to find the text within a range of text but this only provides a yes/no so it is hard for me to modify. That formula is =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH("*"&D7&"*",'Week 2'!K3,0)),"Yes","No") if that setup is of any use for someone to work out my above requirement

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Also will D10:D12 always be the same value?

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Also will D10:D12 always be the same value?
Thanks I will update later when I’m home.

Version not sure of though I’m on Windows 10.

Yes D10:D12 will be the same value for this trial but will change when working to run over many initials, AB CD EF etc

Upvote 0
OK, how about
+Fluff 1.xlsm
DEFGHIJKLMN
9AAB, DE,BCCF, HG,Cd
10ABABBA,CC,HG
11ABCCAD, AB,HH
12ABED
13EGF, AB, CV
Main
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E10:E12E10=INDEX($L$9:$L$17,AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW($L$9:$L$17)-ROW($L$9)+1)/(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(D10,$M$9:$N$17))),COUNTIFS(D$10:D10,D10)))

Upvote 0
OK, how about
+Fluff 1.xlsm
DEFGHIJKLMN
9AAB, DE,BCCF, HG,Cd
10ABABBA,CC,HG
11ABCCAD, AB,HH
12ABED
13EGF, AB, CV
Main
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E10:E12E10=INDEX($L$9:$L$17,AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW($L$9:$L$17)-ROW($L$9)+1)/(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(D10,$M$9:$N$17))),COUNTIFS(D$10:D10,D10)))
That works great thanks a alot!!

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postman24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back