ISNUMBER returning FALSE with function?

Jconafay

Hello all,

I'm currently trying to extract numbers from a column that is formatted as follows:

Blah Blah For Blahing (0284)

And am using this function which generally works:

=MID(I2, SEARCH("(", I2) + 1, SEARCH(")", I2) - SEARCH("(", I2)-1))

Which works BEAUTIFULLY, EXCEPT in the case of something like this:

Blahdiblah (BDB) (0247)

Which returns the acronym instead of the number.. I thought I came up with a really elegant solution by putting this out there:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MID(I2, SEARCH("(", I2) + 1, SEARCH(")", I2) - SEARCH("(", I2)-1)),MID(I2, SEARCH("(", I2) + 1, SEARCH(")", I2) - SEARCH("(", I2)-1), "WHY?!")

But the ISNUMBER function is returning as false even when I isolate the =ISNUMBER(MID.... etc

Any help on this or anything I'm missing that would make it return false like it is? I'm now realizing that I'll have to do some other magic to skip the text even if this does resolve as TRUE, but I'll get to that?

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Try,

=IF(ISNUMBER(0+MID(I2, SEARCH("(", I2) + 1, SEARCH(")", I2) - SEARCH("(", I2)-1)),MID(I2, SEARCH("(", I2) + 1, SEARCH(")", I2) - SEARCH("(", I2)-1), "WHY?!")

Regards

Upvote 0
Does this work for you?

=SUBSTITUTE(REPLACE(A2,1,MIN(FIND({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A2&"0123456789")-1),""),")","")

Upvote 0
Any time you use LEFT, MID or RIGHT, you generate a text answer, even if it looks like a number - so you need to convert the answer to a number...

--MID(I2, SEARCH("(", I2) + 1, SEARCH(")", I2) - SEARCH("(", I2)-1))
MID(I2, SEARCH("(", I2) + 1, SEARCH(")", I2) - SEARCH("(", I2)-1))*1
MID(I2, SEARCH("(", I2) + 1, SEARCH(")", I2) - SEARCH("(", I2)-1))+0

Upvote 0
I ended throwing a simple *1 in at the end. Thank you, it worked! Now to tackle the problem of only returning the numbers..

Upvote 0
... I'm currently trying to extract numbers from a column that is formatted as follows:

Blah Blah For Blahing (0284)
If your bracketed numbers are always at the end of the string and always have four digits, see if the following formula works for you:

=--LEFT(RIGHT(I2,5),4)

Upvote 0
This 100% worked, thank you so much, didn't see it before and thank you everyone for the quick replies! Very much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back