Isolate string from filepath

howster1976

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi,
Let's say I have 4 rows in Column A (titled filepaths) with the following filepath content:

A1: /page1/page2/page3
A2: /page4/page5
A3: /page6/page7/page8/page9
A4: /page10
A300 .....

...I need a formula to isolate the parent of the last child into eg the corresponding column B (titled parent), so:

B1 would derive a value of page2
B2 would derive a value of page4
B3 would derive a value of page8
B4 would derive a value of [blank] as it has no parent

Can anyone suggest a formula please that could achieve this?

Thanks

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Excel Formula:
=IF(LEN(A1) = LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","")),"",MID(A1,FIND(REPT("/",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",""))-1),LEN(A1)))

This formula checks if the cell in Column A has any slashes, and if so, it uses the FIND and MID functions to extract the text after the second to last slash. If the cell has no slashes, it returns an empty string.

You can then copy and paste this formula to the corresponding cells in Column B.

Upvote 0
Depends on what Excel version as well, i would use the below for the latest version of Excel, there will always be other ways to do it.
Excel Formula:
=LET(v,A1,INDEX(TEXTSPLIT(v,"/"),LEN(v)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(v,"/",""))))

Upvote 0
Excel Formula:
=IF(LEN(A1) = LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","")),"",MID(A1,FIND(REPT("/",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",""))-1),LEN(A1)))

This formula checks if the cell in Column A has any slashes, and if so, it uses the FIND and MID functions to extract the text after the second to last slash. If the cell has no slashes, it returns an empty string.

You can then copy and paste this formula to the corresponding cells in Column B.
Thanks I'm running Excel v16.68 for Mac (2019 ish) but when I try that formula I get "You've entered too few arguments for this function."
I have your formula in B1
Cell A1 has "/page1/page2" and I'm hoping to get "page2" as the result in cell B1
Am I doing this right?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Depends on what Excel version as well, i would use the below for the latest version of Excel, there will always be other ways to do it.
Excel Formula:
Thanks I'm running Excel v16.68 for Mac (2019 ish) but when I try that formula I get "#NAME?"
I have your formula in B1
Cell A1 has "/page1/page2" and I'm hoping to get "page2" as the result in cell B1
Am I doing this right?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Excel Formula:

I get this error in my version of Excel. Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 5.36.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 5.36.41 AM.png
    242 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0
Excel Formula:
I get this error unfortunately. Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 5.29.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 5.29.57 AM.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0
My version will not work for you as it uses functions that are not available to your version of Excel.

Upvote 0
I'm running Excel v16.68 for Mac (2019 ish)
Please put your version info into your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Here is another one to try for your version.

23 01 12.xlsm
AB
1/page1/page2/page3page2
2/page4/page5page4
3/page6/page7/page8/page9page8
4/page10 
From path
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1:B4B1=TRIM(LEFT(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",REPT(" ",100)),200),100))

Upvote 0
Solution
Please put your version info into your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Here is another one to try for your version.

23 01 12.xlsm
AB
1/page1/page2/page3page2
2/page4/page5page4
3/page6/page7/page8/page9page8
4/page10 
From path
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1:B4B1=TRIM(LEFT(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",REPT(" ",100)),200),100))
Outstanding works perfectly!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back