Issue using Excel 03 & Access 03 together

wthornton59

I have a 2 tier, Excel front end / Access back end, database set up that I inherited when I accepted my current position and I’m having a problem with it that I haven’t seen before. The set up is:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
1. The end user does their work in Excel which is then updated to the Access database.<o:p></o:p>
2. The Access database resides on a server that is mapped to the user’s desktop computer.<o:p></o:p>
3. The Excel spreadsheet resides in their All Users desktop.<o:p></o:p>
4. Excel works with Access through VBA \ SQL and uses drive mapping. <o:p></o:p>
5. There are 12 iterations of this combination.<o:p></o:p>
6. At each site there are between 3 and 20 users.<o:p></o:p>
The issue is that there are times, especially where there are more users accessing the database, when 2 users will click the button to refresh their data at the same time and the database doesn’t know how to handle it. Access gives an error and requires a Compact and Repair to get it to function again. While this doesn’t take a large amount of time to do, we are experiencing a growth in the number of clients in our offices and it is happening more often. <o:p></o:p>
I know that Access can handle more than 20 users at a time but I have also noticed that with more than 20 users Access starts to act really funky and I am not able to move from using Access to say SQL Server, MySQL or another database.<o:p></o:p>
My questions are:<o:p></o:p>
1. Is there anything I can do to get Excel and Access to work together better where this won't happen?<o:p></o:p>
2. Would using UNC path or other addressing method versus drive mapping to allow Excel and Access to communicate help?<o:p></o:p>
3. Are there any settings or options that needed to be set or that I could modify that might take care of it?<o:p></o:p>
4. Anything I haven't thought of to check?<o:p></o:p>
Thanks in advance for your assistance.<o:p></o:p>

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back