Issue with coloring rules

Revoo

Greetings!

At work we have a schedule with colors and stuff. Today we are doing everything manually and I would like to automize a few things.

Below you'll find a small cut of the schedule. We are around 8 people in total.
0bMD97r.png

To clarify how it works... the letters "D, M & K" are "Day, Morning and Night" shifts. Those are finished. What I need help with is the Dispatcher coloring. We have 3 diffrent kinds that work the same...

I made 2 examples. On Adams schedule is how it would be right now. On Bills row is how we would want it to be.
So when I type "Dispatcher" on row 8 we would want it to color all the way like it does on row 13 AND at the same time make the friday the week after Black with white text saying "Off" (Because you get the next friday off when you have dispatcher the week before).

We also have 2 other weekly roles that work pretty much the same but that I can adjust if I get some help with the Dispatcher function.

If I sound very confusing I'll summarize this:

When we type "Dispatcher" in the first cell we would want all the cells for the rest of that week to turn yellow and also the friday the next week to turn black with white text saying "off".

I hope this is possible! This rule will be applied to each person but I'm sure I can handle that myself. If any of you knows how to do this I would be very greatful!

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Select Cells B8 to H8. Invoke the Conditional Formatting dialogue box. Select New Rule | Use a formula...| and paste this exactly in the Format value where... box =$B$8="dispatcher" and then set the format to yellow fill.

For M7 you will have to write a formula that determines whether the cell should display "Off" or one of "M" "D" or "K". You cannot use Conditional Formatting to report a text or value.

For the CondFrmt, select Cell M7. Invoke the Conditional Formatting dialogue box. Select New Rule | Use a formula...| and paste this exactly in the Format value where... box =$B$8="dispatcher" and then set the format to black fill and white font.

Är det klart?

Upvote 0
You could also do what you want using event code...
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
  If Target.Address <> "$1:$" & Rows.Count Then
    If Target.Column = 2 And Target.Value = "Dispatcher" Then
      Target.Resize(, 7).Interior.Color = vbYellow
      With Target.Offset(, 11)
        .Value = "Off"
        .Interior.Color = vbBlack
        .Font.Color = vbWhite
      End With
    End If
  End If
End Sub

HOW TO INSTALL Event Code
------------------------------------
If you are new to event code procedures, they are easy to install. To install it, right-click the name tab at the bottom of the worksheet that is to have the functionality to be provided by the event code and select "View Code" from the popup menu that appears. This will open up the code window for that worksheet. Copy/Paste the event code into that code window. That's it... the code will now operate automatically when its particular event procedure is raised by an action you take on the worksheet itself. Note... if you are using XL2007 or above, make sure you save your file as an "Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) and answer the "do you want to enable macros" question as "yes" or "OK" (depending on the button label for your version of Excel) the next time you open your workbook.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back