Issue with Referencing when using either $$ or not.

TheWannabe

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a 2 worksheets, worksheet A and worksheet B. In the first worksheet I am keeping all of the data for each week. Every week I have a macro that will insert a new line in worksheet A.
By inserting this new line it means that the information I need for calculations will always be in B5.
In worksheet B I have the following command (=SheetA!$B$5), I have also tried (=SheetA!B5).
If I insert a new row above row 5 which now updates the current B5 cell to be blank. (Data will be manually put into it).
In worksheet B the command =SheetA!$B$5 will automatically update to =SheetA!$B$6 to follow the data even though I want it to stay as =SheetA!$B$5.
The same thing happens if I don't use the absolute referencing with =SheetA!B5.
I have also tried dragging the information down, or cutting it and pasting it in the row below, yet the formula still follows the data rather then staying on the specific cell.

Is there an option that I need to check for this or is it not possible?

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

See if this formula in Sheet B does what you want.
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(SheetA!B:B,5)

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi
And welcome
Try
Excel Formula:
=INDIRECT("SheetA!"&ADDRESS(5,2))

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Thanks for the follow-up. (y)

For the record, an INDIRECT function formula could also work but being a volatile function INDIRECT is best avoided when there are simple non-volatile options available. :)
Perfect I will look into them for the future but use the =INDEX(SheetA!B:B,5) for now.

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Thanks for the follow-up. (y)

For the record, an INDIRECT function formula could also work but being a volatile function INDIRECT is best avoided when there are simple non-volatile options available. :)
Is there would be a way to use the INDEX function with the SUM function? I was trying to go SUM(INDEX(SheetA!B5:E5)).

This would be to get SUM all numbers in a singular row, but when I inserted a new row, it went and followed that data to row 6 rather then stay on row 5.

Upvote 0
It would need to be
Excel Formula:
SUM(INDEX(SheetA!B:E,5,0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back