Issues Copying Formula

Lemonhead

I have a large spreadsheet in Excel 2010 with multiple worksheets. This morning I edited a formula in one of the cells of a table then tried to copy it to the other cells in the column using ctrl-c and ctrl-v, but Excel would not copy the revised formula into the other cells. I tried using the mouse to copy and paste and tried copy and paste formulas only, with no luck. I tried copying to just one cell, but it would not do it. I did not get an error message or anything. I can manually edit the formulas in the other cells, but there are almost 13,000 lines on this worksheet, so that is was not a practical way around this issue. I rebooted my computer and even tried doing the copy and paste on a different computer, still no luck. I finally inserted a new column into the table, highlighted the text of the formula and pasted it into the new column and Excel copied it down into the other cells with no problem. I am totally baffled as to what was going on in that original column. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Try and copy the cell (from the cell not the bar in the top) then click on the destination cell and paste special furmulas. This should work.

Cheers,
F

Upvote 0
I just discovered that I am having the same issue with all the columns to the right of the original column. Again I can insert a new column and copy formula over to it and it works fine.

Upvote 0
I seem to be having the same issue in another worksheet within the same workbook. This time I am trying to copy text. I hope my workbook is not corrupted.

Upvote 0
I figured it out. Turns out the issues were all on the same worksheet. I had a couple lines above my table were I was describing what was in the table. I noticed the symbol that appears when you are filtering a table or range on cell A1, which was in the area above my table. At some point I must have clicked the filter button while my cursor was sitting on cell A1. I placed my cursor to cell A1 and un-clicked the filter button and now everything works fine.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back