Issues with Excel 2013 "partially" freezing (mouse not working and ribbon options grayed out)

Rilda

Me and at least one colleague of mine who are using Excel 2013 are having issues with Excel randomly becoming partially unresponsive.

The symptoms for my colleague are that all the options in the ribbon become grayed out and you can't click anywhere with the mouse to select a cell. My colleague has experienced it at least when selecting cells and then moving them by dragging with a mouse. She has been able to recover from that by simply visiting another program and then returning Excel.

I usually never move cells like that but now, after maybe a month of using the new version, I encounter the same bug. Except that my version doesn't recover from alt+tabbing or otherwise opening another program etc. Computer makes the "ding" sound when I tried to click anywhere on the worksheet, similar to having an options box open on top of the worksheet in older versions of Excel. Ribbon options are gray but I can switch between ribbon tabs. I had a chart series selected and was able to move the selection with my arrow keys. The buttons to close files didn't work (clickable but didn't do anything), minimizing a file worked. So I couldn't close any of my worksheets. Eventually Excel crashed.

What could be causing these symptoms? I've disabled all add-ins, I've disabled hardware graphics acceleration (because my version more often than not crashed after copy&paste) and I've also enabled the option to turn off all unnecessary animations from Windows Ease of Access Center. My files aren't in compatibility mode.

I copied this crash report:
Code:
Problem signature:  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	EXCEL.EXE
  Application Version:	15.0.4727.1000
  Application Timestamp:	555219d7
  Fault Module Name:	EXCEL.EXE
  Fault Module Version:	15.0.4727.1000
  Fault Module Timestamp:	555219d7
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	0064a248
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
  Locale ID:	1035

Additional information about the problem:
  LCID:	1033
  skulcid:	1033

Does that tell anything to anyone?

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back