Issues with my Do Until Code

Heyitslopes

Good morning i'm having issues with a line in my code and or i'm not using it right.

Everything seems to be working except the bolded line of code. It brings in the correct data from the other sheets and it sums them but it just copies the data in row 3, column 6 all the way till end of my Do until and not each matching cell.

I'm essentially trying to do a Do until last row in Column 4 if it and if it is true pull the matching cell data onto the sheet

Dim row As Integer
row = 3
Do Until activesheet.Cells(row, 4).Value = ""
activesheet.Cells(row, 6).Formula = activesheet.Cells(row, 4).Value * activesheet.Cells(row, 5).Value
activesheet.Cells(row, 7).Formula = "=SUM('Instructions:End'!E4)"
activesheet.Cells(row, 8).Formula = activesheet.Cells(row, 4).Value * activesheet.Cells(row, 7).Value
activesheet.Cells(row, 9).Formula = activesheet.Cells(row, 8).Value / activesheet.Cells(row, 6).Value
row = row + 1
Loop

Any Ideas?

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Good morning i'm having issues with a line in my code and or i'm not using it right.

Everything seems to be working except the bolded line of code. It brings in the correct data from the other sheets and it sums them but it just copies the data in row 3, column 6 all the way till end of my Do until and not each matching cell.

I'm essentially trying to do a Do until last row in Column 4 if it and if it is true pull the matching cell data onto the sheet

Dim row As Integer
row = 3
Do Until activesheet.Cells(row, 4).Value = ""
activesheet.Cells(row, 6).Formula = activesheet.Cells(row, 4).Value * activesheet.Cells(row, 5).Value
activesheet.Cells(row, 7).Formula = "=SUM('Instructions:End'!E4)"
activesheet.Cells(row, 8).Formula = activesheet.Cells(row, 4).Value * activesheet.Cells(row, 7).Value
activesheet.Cells(row, 9).Formula = activesheet.Cells(row, 8).Value / activesheet.Cells(row, 6).Value
row = row + 1
Loop

Any Ideas?
You are not changing the value of activesheet.Cells(row, 4).Value anywhere within your loop so its value remains the same... that means your Do Until test will always be what it was at the beginning of the loop... so, if you don't update that cell during the execution of the loop, then there is nothing that will stop the loop.

Upvote 0
You are not changing the value of activesheet.Cells(row, 4).Value anywhere within your loop so its value remains the same... that means your Do Until test will always be what it was at the beginning of the loop... so, if you don't update that cell during the execution of the loop, then there is nothing that will stop the loop.
Rick,
Did you miss the
Code:
row=row+1
line at the bottom of the code, just before the loop line?

It looks like the loop is running down the 4th column until it encounters a blank cell. That *SHOULD* work, as least as far as stopping the loop goes.

This simple Test (a stripped down variation of their code) seems to work/confirm that.
Code:
Sub Test()

Dim row As Integer
    row = 3

Do Until ActiveSheet.Cells(row, 4).Value = ""
        row = row + 1
    Loop

MsgBox "Last line of data in 4th column is " & row - 1

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rick,
Did you miss the
Code:
row=row+1
line at the bottom of the code, just before the loop line?
I sure did. :oops:

It looks like the loop is running down the 4th column until it encounters a blank cell. That *SHOULD* work, as least as far as stopping the loop goes.
I agree which probably means the cells contain an invisible character (space or non-breaking space). My bet is on the non-breaking space due possibly from the column being copied from a webpage perhaps.

Upvote 0
Is there another way I can achieve this then? I'm just trying to have the code search column D4 down until that last row of data and if data in those cells exists then
pull the sum of each cell in column E in every sheet and show that total in it's corresponding cell on a totals sheet.

Upvote 0
The code you have will show the same value in column G all the way down the sheet as it's the same formula each time. Are you trying to fetch different data from each row in the other sheet? Something like this?

Code:
activesheet.Cells(row, 7).Formula = "=SUM('Instructions:End'!E" & CStr(row + 1) & ")"

?

WBD

Upvote 0
Yes thank you the is exactly was I was looking for, how does the & CStr(row + 1) & ")" part of the code work?

Upvote 0
& is used for string concatenation. CStr converts the argument to a string. row + 1 = 4 to start with and then increments each time. So we're concatenating the following:

"=SUM('Instructions:End'!E"
CStr(row + 1) = CStr(3 + 1) = CStr(4) = "4"
")"

In the first row processed this will set the formula to "=SUM('Instructions:End'!E4)"
On the next row it will be "=SUM('Instructions:End'!E5)"

And so on down the column.

Hope that makes sense.

WBD

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back