istext

uk747

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
=IF(ISTEXT(a3),a3,IF(ISTEXT(a2),a2,"")) cant seem to get the formula to work.A3 contains a formula and A2 doesnt. If the formula in A3 shows text based on a result then I want contents of A3 in A1, if A3 is "" then show A2 and if A2 is blank then ""

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Is A3 either some text or "", or could it be a number? (the "" is actually text too)

Upvote 0
Is A3 either some text or "", or could it be a number? (the "" is actually text too)
a3 is a formula based on other cells if the other cells are blank then A3 will show as blank

Upvote 0
when the formula in A3 returns something ...what is that? What I mean by that is do you mean text or do you just mean not blank,
is a number coming over?

Upvote 0
when the formula in A3 returns something ...what is that? What I mean by that is do you mean text or do you just mean not blank,is a number coming over?
the result of the formula is text.

Upvote 0
Try this...
Code:
=IF(AND(LEN(A3),ISTEXT(A3)),A3,IF(AND(LEN(A2),ISTEXT(A2)),A2,""))
I am curious to know whether Post #3 doesn't help you?
sorry only just seen your post. yes it did work Thanksif A4 was involved as well how would that slot into the formulaif a4 is blank then show a3, if a3 is blank then show a2 if a4 a3 and a2 are blank then a1 will be blank

Upvote 0
Glad it helps you just duplicate one of the if function and change the cell reference like the below

Code:
=[COLOR=#0000cd]IF(AND(LEN([/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]A4[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd]),ISTEXT([/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]A4[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd])),[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]A4[/COLOR],[COLOR=#0000cd]IF(AND(LEN(A3),ISTEXT(A3)),A3[/COLOR],[COLOR=#0000cd]IF(AND(LEN(A2),ISTEXT(A2)),A2[/COLOR],"")))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back