Votes: 0 0.0%
  • maybe

• oh, do we have an IT Manager ?

• no

• Total voters
Well to be fair, we only remember the screw up's. When everything running smoothly we never really remeber that. We have an IT support group that consists of only 4 people. One of which I would trust to know more then me, one of which knows a good amount and for the most part I would trust him. The other two, I wouldn't let near my system, with somebody else's brain. :eek: It seems most of the competant IT guy's have moved on to bigger and better things, like project management and programming. Which I guess makes sense, even if it doesn't help me!!!

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
we only remember the screw up's. When everything running smoothly we never really remeber that

but if the IT dept is competent and sets things up properly, shouldn't we expect things to run smoothly, with only the occ. bump in the road? I guess I wasn't too fair about my last company's IT. The servers ran somewhat well (except the mail..). We had a local IT guy to reboot the PC server and usually maintained the Unix CAD server ourselves.. but when it came to software problems - outlook, word anything other than servers.. I guess my problem with them was the high and mighty attitude - since I wasn't in IT, I didn't know what I was talking about.. except one guy - I considered him REAL IT - helpful, non-condescending. Too bad he wasn't a people person and preferred the background... The IT dept would be flawless if he were in charge..
now my husband's company - the don't do ANYTHING right!

Yeah, that's the issue that annoyed me. The fact they like to think themselves almighty. If you show them you know what you're talking about they get all cagey and annoyed!

Our IT department was located centrally and all problems dealt with using NetSupport to logon to PC's remotely or over the phone.

The biggest issues I had with them were:

1. "We'll call you back in an hour" meaning we won't call you back and may or may not fix it.
2. Being told to do the obvious that you'd already tried 5 times depsite telling them this.
3. The internet/email going down on an almost daily basis.
4. Watching them take control of my PC and try several things before hitting on the solution I told them 10 minutes ago.

The central company pulled out of our branch a few months ago and since then I've been the IT department. The internet works everyday, no one has trouble with email and the server hasn't crashed once. I wouldn't consider myself a network expert by any means but I don't see why it's so hard for things to work on a regular basis!

The central company pulled out of our branch a few months ago and since then I've been the IT department.

Hi Mark (y)

Have You made any poll among Your local collegeus about it :LOL:

In general I have the impression that what co-workers consider to be a problem is not a problem for the IT-department and vice versa.

Desktop-support is not what an IT-department co-workers dream of to work with because:
a) it involves end-users.
b) issues that they many times have no clue how to solve.

Finally, working togheter with many central IT-department during the years I have the impression of that the lack of basic understanding why different department exist within organizations create many problems on all levels.

XL-Dennis said:
... the lack of basic understanding why different department exist within organizations create many problems on all levels.

You can only agree with that. :) Henry Mintzberg (as you and I have talked before Dennis) has some excellent books on Organization - must reads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back