Iterating through VLOOKUP matches

durvur

We have two lists of names zipcodes and states. The zipcodes and states are incomplete and first names are inconsistent Christopher vs Chris for example as well as multiple people having the same last name.
I want to do a look up on last name, iterate through multiple last names trying to match say the first 3-4 letters of first name, or match on state, or match on zipcode.
The iteration part im not familiar with. And I dont know where I would place a LEFT() function for first name matches or how I might wrap this formula in an IF statement to match against zipcode etc.
The foundation of this has to be a lookup on last name though. We have approached this from multiple other available vectors and what remains is possible matches based on inconsistency of first name, or state, or zip and multiple last name hits so, if anyone has a chunk of code that would give me some direction on how this logic would appear I'm pretty desperate. Even if its a chunk of VBA code I would have to edit.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
If I understand you correctly,can you use something like this? Hope this helps.

Excel 2012
ABCDEFGHI
1zipcodefirst namelast namezipcodefirst namelast name
2123txchrissmith123txchrissmith
3456christopersmith4560christopersmith
4texkrissmith0texkrissmith
5789billSmith7890billSmith
6125utKristsmith125utKristsmith
7robSmythe8990caChrisSmith
88990caChrisSmith78Lacristsmith
978Lacristsmith
10999ChrisSchmitt
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F2{=IFERROR(INDEX(A$2:A$10,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Smith",$D$2:$D$10)),ROW($A$2:$A$10)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($F$2:F2)))," ")}
G2{=IFERROR(INDEX(B$2:B$10,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Smith",$D$2:$D$10)),ROW($A$2:$A$10)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($F$2:G2)))," ")}
H2{=IFERROR(INDEX(C$2:C$10,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Smith",$D$2:$D$10)),ROW($A$2:$A$10)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($F$2:H2)))," ")}
I2{=IFERROR(INDEX(D$2:D$10,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(IF(D$2:D$10<>"",SEARCH("Smith",$D$2:$D$10))),ROW($A$2:$A$10)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($F$2:I2)))," ")}
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back