It's a date! ... or could be with help

MrChuckles69

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
A friend asked for help with VBA ... getting a file to save (invoices) based on clicking an image and saving the document based on two cell values

The first one is the customer name and the second is a date

I took on the challenge and googled and ... sometimes it worked, sometimes not, worked on mine, didnt on his etc ...

The date cell was a problem as it didnt work unless it was a text cell, so we ran with that for now

I'd like to finish the job but despite looking on google, Mr Excel and others ... most answers arent quite the same ... looking at 'TODAY' as a data and not teh cell

I'm stuck!

This is the code that saves a file at the moment ... might not be pretty or perfect and so if theres an easier way ... all ears!

D2 is the cell with the client name and H6 has a date in it

Thank you guys!

Sub Picture1_Click()
Dim Path As String
Dim FileName1 As String
Dim Filename2 As String
Path = "/Users/me/Documents/mine/"
FileName1 = Range("D2")
Filename2 = Range("H6")
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:=Path & FileName1 & Filename2 & ".xlsx", FileFormat:=xlOpenXMLWorkbook
End Sub

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Maybe if you want the cell to be an actual date (change formatting to suit)...

VBA Code:
Filename2 = Format(CDate(Range("H6")), "dd_mm_yyyy")

Upvote 0
Hi Mr Chuckles. Welcome to the Board. If FileName2 is actually text then I think that the code you have given should work. Can you describe what your problem is?

Upvote 0
Keep Range H6 as DATE value. Then format the value as text using one of the 2 below:
VBA Code:
Filename2 =Format(range("H6"),"yyyy-mm-dd")
or
VBA Code:
Filename2 =Application.WorksheetFunction.Text(range("H6").Value,"[$-en-GB]dd mmmm yyyy")

Upvote 0
Dan ... I muddled my way through and used (as it happened) something from years ago on youtube.

I used what was there and it worked if H6 was text only ... as in was a date and changed the format to text to get it to work

I'd like that cell to be a date format again and for the VBA to same it as say .... Waterloo-03Apr20

I dont know what to change

Upvote 0
Yeah, Mark858 and Bobsan42, I would have recommended something similar, but I'd like to hear what Mr. Chuckles thinks the problem is. How can his own solution work for him but not for his friend? Likely because one of them has H6 in a numeric format and one has it in a text format. I can see this going around in several circles before getting resolved.

Upvote 0
Bob ...
You mean .... like this?

Sub Picture1_Click()
Dim Path As String
Dim FileName1 As String
Dim Filename2 =Application.WorksheetFunction.Text(range("H6").Value,"[$-en-GB]dd mmmm yyyy")
FileName1 = Range("D2")
Filename2 = Range("H6")
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:=Path & FileName1 & Filename2 & ".xlsx", FileFormat:=xlOpenXMLWorkbook
End Sub

Upvote 0
Dan ...

It works because its text ... when it was a date format it tried to save to a directory /04/2020 ... hence why changed the cell format to text

Some posts suggested this can be overcome by not taking the / as a directory ... hence seeking help how to do this

No circles, no to you to me ... just a straight question

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Sub Picture1_Click()
    Dim Path As String
    Dim FileName1 As String
    Dim Filename2 As String
    FileName1 = Range("D2")
    Filename2 = Format(CDate(Range("H6")), "ddmmmyy")
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=Path & FileName1 & & Filename2 & ".xlsx", FileFormat:=xlOpenXMLWorkbook
End Sub

Edit: Left the path the same as you say it saves currently but seems strange to me that there is no drive letter but then haven't played with a Mac for a while.

Upvote 0
If H6 is actually in a date format then try Mark's solution with the format below:
VBA Code:
Filename2 =Format(range("H6"),"ddmmmyy")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back