I've created a workbook and added some data queries and when I open it from another computer I've got Initialization of the data source failed.

MGadAllah

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I've the following problem and I do hope to find any solution.
Here is the exact situation from the beginning:
- I've created a workbook as a data entry file, this file has 5 sheets and each sheet includes some similar and some different tables headers.
- This worksheet is shared between 2 users on the same network.
- I've created some name ranges inside the data entry workbook.
- I've created another workbook, and it is a clean and an empty workbook, so the 1st thing I did was adding a new query from another file (I mean the previously mentioned workbook as a data entry file) and added several others queries the same way.
- After adding, combined, and appending several queries, I've created a big query that includes everything I need.
- Then I've added a pivot table to this workbook, and used the big query that includes everything I need as a data source.
- I've finished everything I need to do or have within this PivotTable and everything worked as fine.
Now the problem is that, when I open this workbook (The one that includes the PivotTable, and this PivotTable has the big query as a data source) from another computer -which is important as this file used by several colleagues as a summarized reports- I've got several errors and nothing could be refreshed or updated.
Please help.
Here are the screen I've got:
1.png

2.png

3.png

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
hello

I don't know what the problem is. Maybe to do with working across a network, or the sharing of files.

Basically, you're making a pivot table from some source data. If that can be done from your computer, then suggest you check if it can be done from the computers of your colleagues. That is, created from scratch at their computers. If this works you could just stop there: they have a pivot table that works, and each time they just refresh everything to have the current information. Next level up, suggest you create VBA to do the same thing: maybe best saved as an add-in file because if changes are needed at some time, the add-in can be updated & re-issued.

If the sharing of the network data file is an issue - causing it to not to be queryable - then add some code to that file so that it creates a separate, stand-alone copy. Such as in a dedicated sub-directory. This file exists purely so that queries can run against it. The users continue to share the network file as currently, and this other file is a separate copy only for your querying. OK?

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help.
Solution was to set connection privacy to ignore everything.
Now it is working :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliecooper255

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back