Join value of rows in ColumnA

maramiro

Board Regular
Hello
I have a problem with excel, I would really appreciate your help please.
I have 4000 rows and 36 columns used.
I would like to join 4000 rows of column A together, separating each value by a comma (,) , if I use the concatenate function,it would take me forever to do so (ex : =concatenate (A4,",",A5, ",",A6,....A4000)). Is there any other solution to join all rows of column A by using a faster way than the concatenate function.

Thank you

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
There is a text limit for a single cell, and 4000 cells will almost certainly pass well beyond it.

ETA: up to 1024 characters can be displayed in a cell, 32767 can be displayed in the formula bar.

ETA2: Over 32767 characters and you will get a #VALUE! error.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have basically 4000 rows in the excel worksheet, and I would like to read the values inside each cell of Column A, seperating each value by a comma.
The following is a small example of what I need.
orange is column A, I want to copy/ paset the values in a cell so that the result appears to me like that : 0,5,1,2

But what I actually have is 4000 rows and not only 5 rows like the example shown below. Should I write like a VBA code, or there is a function that could do so to me

<table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 96pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="128"><col style="width: 48pt;" span="2" width="64"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl65" style="height: 15pt; width: 48pt;" width="64" height="20">Orange </td> <td class="xl65" style="border-left: medium none; width: 48pt;" width="64">Yellow</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl66" style="border-top: medium none; height: 15pt;" align="right" height="20">0</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;" align="right">5</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl66" style="border-top: medium none; height: 15pt;" align="right" height="20">5</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;" align="right">7</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl66" style="border-top: medium none; height: 15pt;" align="right" height="20">1</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;" align="right">8</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td class="xl66" style="border-top: medium none; height: 15pt;" align="right" height="20">2</td> <td class="xl66" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;" align="right">1</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Sorry I m pretty new in these things
Thank you

Upvote 0
try
=JoinRows(A1:A4000,",")
Code:
Function JoinRows(ByRef rng As Range, ByVal JoinStr As String) As String
    JoinRows = Join(Application.Transpose(rng.Value), JoinStr)
End function

Upvote 0
Again, there is a limit to how long the text can be and how much text a cell can display. If your text is like the example (1 character in each cell) then you can fit it all in a single cell with commas with no errors. But if you have an average of 3-4 characters per cell, you will just get a #VALUE! error. Additionally, depending on how you want to use the concatenated cells, you may run into other problems down the line.

Give Seiya's VBA code a try, but realize that Excel does have cell length limitations.

Upvote 0
hey Seiya,
when i actually write in the function bar =joinrows(A1:A4000,","),
I get an error in the cell saying #NAME?
Thank you

Upvote 0
hey Seiya,
when i actually write in the function bar =joinrows(A1:A4000,","),
I get an error in the cell saying #NAME?
Thank you
1) Hit Alt + F11
2) go to [Insert] - [Module] then paste code
3) hit Alt + F11 again to get back to excel

Now you can use that function in the cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back