just how do i do this???

Felafel

Here we go....I'm really having trouble finding the words for this one...

I have a number of rows that have data corresponding to a day. For example Monday 21/08/02 $1000, Tuesday 22/08/02 $2000...etc etc

What i want to do is to have a value for each week and not see all the crap that comes in between.

At the moment the rows are being transferred from another spreadsheet, what i want to happen is when they come through i want them to be sorted into weeks starting from the beginning of the current financial year.

So instead of having 5 rows for all the data from Monday to Friday I just have one row for the week beginning (eg) 24/04/02.

This requires sorting the stuff into the date ranges and adding up all the other values.....and i just have no idea where to begin.....

Does this make sense????

Please Help!!!

ah this is hurting my head......

this is the problem as i see it: the data currently comes from another workbook and in its current form gets directly entered into my worksheet. In this form it has 4 columns plus four additional columns that i add in later...as so:

A: Task Code
B: Weekday
C: Date
D: Time (Hours)
E: Description
F: Rate
G: Sub Total
H: GST
I: Total

The original worksheet is a timesheet so for each transfer of data there are 5 records....monday to friday....so 5 rows...now these 5 rows need to be slotted into one week

these rows are not going to be used in only one sheet, they'll be transferred to others and used in different forms and sorted not only by period but by the task number or by the consultant working on them.....so i can't just say all the rows in that particular transfer as there will be other consultants who will fit into the same period etc etc

basically i'm not using any formulas in the workbook at alll...it's all done thorugh macros...this is as per my managers requirement that all data and views should be dynamic...so because everything gets changed all the time it's worked so far to do it this way.....

you guys can give up if you want.....i'd be getting pretty frustrated if i were you :p

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
summation button?

i've done all the steps to there but man i'm lost...what is it that i'm doing???

paddy help me i'm gonig nuts...

and while we're at it....can you tell me a little more about the sql thing...that's sounding like the avenue i want to follow....in other words can i stop where i am at the moment and take a sharp right down SQL Ave?

Upvote 0
summation button?

i've done all the steps to there but man i'm lost...what is it that i'm doing???

paddy help me i'm gonig nuts...

and while we're at it....can you tell me a little more about the sql thing...that's sounding like the avenue i want to follow....in other words can i stop where i am at the moment and take a sharp right down SQL Ave?

If you've got as far as the 'summation button', you're almost there. (Hover the mouse over the buttons - it says 'cycle through totals).

SQL = structured query language. In MS Query, click the SQL button - it will throw up the SQL statement for the query so far. Maybve if you coppied the query & posted it back we could do something with it...

Paddy

Upvote 0
just realised i replied to the wrong message...this is all getting to bo too much...

anyway...

i've just changed the range to a dynamic one and now it won't come up as an available column....any ideas?

and i know a bit about sql but i'm out of practice

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back