Just want simple tickbox in non-Slideshow PowerPoint

Helpmehelpme

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi
I'm sure there must be VBA for this, to take a tickbox inserted into a slide from the Developer tab, and make it so that, without needing to be in Slideshow to be able to click the tickbox, you would be able to tick the checkbox!

I'd like it done with VBA so there's nothing for the user to do specifically. When they see a checkbox I'd like them to either just be able to ignore it altogether, or click it and if they do that, a tick mark appears. If they change their mind and click it again, the tick mark would go.

I'm convinced this is possible but with a bit of VBA and the tickbox from the Develop tab (without going into User Forms and the like) - am I right and can anyone help??

I don't need any messages to appear, I'm not looking to go through a presentation to find checked or unchecked tickboxes, I just want the user, NOT in Slideshow mode, to be able to tick and untick a blessed tick box - that's it :).

Any help would be v v gratefully received as I cannot find anything that quite seems to fit the bill.

Many thanks indeed.

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Sorry to bump this, but does anyone have a way for making a tickbox clickable outside of being in slideshow mode (ie the user clicks the checkbox, a checkmark appears....)??

Just cannot find anything and I have searched loads on this (plus I'm pretty VBA-novice which doesn't help!).

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Welcome to MrExcel
I suspect that you are getting no response because nobody understands what you are trying to achieve

What is the purpose of the checkbox? What happens when the user clicks on it?
What happens when it is checked \ not checked?
Why does the user need to click it?
When does the user need to click it?

Upvote 0
Always happy to explain further.

Purpose: A checkbox provided for the user to click on it to say 'yes' ie agreement with the choice or statement sitting in the text box right beside the checkbox
What happens when they click on it: A tick appears
What happens if they click on it a second time: The tick disappears and goes back to being an empty checkbox
What happens when it is not checked: Nothing. It is perfectly ok for it to not be checked
Why does the user need to click it: In order to indicate 'yes' ie agreement with the choice or statement sitting in the text box right beside the checkbox.

So in effect it would toggle on ie click unchecked checkbox once, a tick would appear in it, click the checkbox again and the tick would disappear; repeat.

Upvote 0
Thanks. But I still do not understand where you are going with this
1. What happens after the user clicks on the checkbox ?
2. What is the end result? Are you trying to use powerpoint as some kind of questionnaire and wanting to collate all the user's responses?

Upvote 0
I'm not deploying it as a survey (I have MS Forms for that); it's a workbook for a person to work through step by step. At points they are asked do you have this a b or c - if they have b they apply a tick to the checkbox next to b.

I have no requirement to collate responses or anything like that. It is just to have the ability for the recipient of the document to work through that workbook document and click a checkbox (a tick appears) - they go off and do something else. They click a different checkbox (same thing happens as it did on the first checkbox they clicked on ie a tick appears) - they go off and do something else. They go back to an already ticked checkbox and click it again (the tick disappears).

Upvote 0
Now you really have confused me :unsure:

The title says
Just want simple tickbox in non-Slideshow PowerPoint
Post#6 says
It's a workbook for a person to work through step by step

Sorry - out of time for today

Upvote 0
I felt it was clear enough since certain of the checkbox features do only work in slideshow mode and I'm not doing a presentation as a slideshow. Hence why I made that clear in the title. So it is accurate as a title. Whether it's a workbook, a CV, a report or a presentation, the functionality that I need from the checkbox is exactly the same, and I do feel I've set out how I want it to work pretty clearly - I'm not sure I can explain it any clearer actually.

I very much appreciate your assistance so far and would of course be delighted to pick it up with you or other contributors another time. Have a great Saturday. I too am clocking off as I've been working on that workbook and other associated documentation since early doors so I'm now off to watch some telly, have a coffee, and cuddle my dog :).

Upvote 0
In an Excel workbook:
Insert a checkbox (either Form Control or Active-x ) directly onto a worksheet
Cancel Design Mode if required
Click on checkbox (to check)
Click again on checkbox (to uncheck)

Upvote 0
In order for this to work, run the trap events routine first:

VBA Code:
' Module 1
Dim pptob As New EventClass, trapflag As Boolean

Sub TrapEvents()
MsgBox "Trapping event..."
If trapflag = True Then
    MsgBox "the EventHandler is already active.", _
    vbInformation + vbOKOnly, "PP Event Handler"
    Exit Sub
End If
Set pptob.PPTEvent = Application
trapflag = True
End Sub

Sub ReleaseTrap()
If trapflag = True Then
    Set pptob.PPTEvent = Nothing
    Set pptob = Nothing
    trapflag = False
End If
End Sub

VBA Code:
'PowerPoint class module named EventClass

Public WithEvents PPTEvent As Application

Private Sub Class_Terminate()
MsgBox "EventHandler is now inactive.", vbInformation + vbOKOnly, _
"PowerPoint Event Handler Example"
End Sub

Private Sub PPTEvent_WindowSelectionChange(ByVal Sel As Selection)
If Sel.Type <> 0 Then
    If Sel.Type = 2 And Sel.ShapeRange.Name Like "CheckBox*" Then
        Sel.ShapeRange.OLEFormat.Object.Value = _
        Not Sel.ShapeRange.OLEFormat.Object.Value
        Sel.Unselect
    End If
End If
End Sub

Private Sub Class_Initialize()
MsgBox "The EventHandler class has been initialized."
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back