Keep formatting when using INDEX/MATCH

woheh2

Hi,

I'm using an INDEX/MATCH formula which is working nicely, however I want to carry the source formatting over into the resulting cell (ie where the formula is). Source and result information are on different worksheets.
Formatting is text colour and/or italics.

Any help is appreciated!

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Is the source information formatted using Conditional Formatting? If so, you could just use the same rules on the results sheet... otherwise I'm not sure about how you could do this without VBA.

Upvote 0
Formulas deal with data. formatting (color/font/italic etc) is cosmetic, not data, so formulas pretty much (as a rule) ignore formatting. Apart from using VBA or CF (mentioned above), you will probably have to apply the formatting manually - the same as you did at the source cell

Upvote 0
Thank you both for your reply.

It is not conditional formatting so I would not be able to use this option.

I also can't change the format manually in the resulting cell as the cell has the formula in it, not the actual text.

The text that needs to be formatted is a selection of words, not the whole cell so I don't think VBA would work either.

Thanks anyway!

Upvote 0
Formatting is (generally) not affected by weather a cell contains data or a formula, so that should not stop you from applying the formay manually

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back