Keep workbooks linked when the path changes XL2003

twistedoctor

I have two workbooks.

Workbook A contains four spreadsheets (of various customer data).

Workbook B uses formulas and queries to import the data from Workbook A.

I have to email, or upload both of these workbooks to a customer so they can continue to update the data in Workbook A, and "refresh" the links to update Workbook B.

How do I email, or upload, both of the workbooks so that the customer does not have to rename every path in Workbook B to see Workbook A? Is this even possible?

Example:
Workbook A & B have been downloaded to a new computer. Both are saved in a file on the desktop together. I open Workbook A, no problems. I open Workbook B, and I get a message "Data connections have been disabled". I click to enable the content and I receive this message:

'C:DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\JSTRAHAN\DESKTOP/WorkbookA.xls' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.

:( Easy fix, right?...

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
When working with linked files, I've had success keeping them in the same directory.and emailing them within a ZIP file. I then would tell my recipient to extract them to the same folder and they should work, otherwise, I'd suggest they open the source file first, and then the file that references to the source file second so they find each other.

If they are currently not in the same directory, opening both and using Save As... should reset all the links without headache.

Upvote 0
I had the client try opening the source first, then the spreadsheets (and they are saved in the same folder) but that did not work. Neither did having her do a SAVE AS. Instead of looking in the same folder for the source, the path keeps directing it back to my computer - which of course is invalid. Anything else I could try?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back