Keeping Page Breaks and Print Range the Same Reguardless of User

NateAtWork

I created a document that is kept on a shared hard drive that needs to print exactly the same for all users. The print ranges are the same for most users, but when some users open it, the content takes up more space on the paper and pages are split. The page breaks do not move their relative indices, but the columns seem and rows seem to get slightly wider which results in pages with only the last few rows or columns of the pages being printed.

After doing some initial research, I concluded that this must be caused by the default font or other settings on the rogue PCs causing the making the column, row height, and/or margins to be measured in different units. So I created a VBA program that measures all of this information in what I thought were absolute units (pts) and stored them in empty cells on each page outside the print range. Another sub used the values stored in the cells to reset the column widths and margins. I got these two programs working on my computer (If I messed up the row heights or column widths on purpose it would fix them), but when I tested them on a rogue computer the row heights were still wrong.:(

When I actually measured the row heights by clicking between two rows, the height in inches was the same but the heights in pixels were different. So the problem would seem to be that the rogue computers have a different pixels per inch on their screen or in their excel or windows settings, but I don't understand why a print range would be defined in terms of pixels instead of inches :mad:. I would think a print range would be independent of pixels per inch, and I don't know how to change the ppi value or make it so that print ranges are defined in terms of inches instead of pixels.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem, or alternative theories for why I am experiencing it? I am open to questions etc, thanks in advance.

These posts are partially related:

I first asked how to do this on superuser (not much useful info on this post):microsoft excel - Keeping Page Breaks the Same Reguardless of User - Super User

And I posted a question about how to adjust use the .ColumnWidth property to set the column width in pts (as is measured by the read only .Width property) on StackOverflow here (take a look if you are curious how the algorithm works, but I don't think my current problem is related to this algorithm):
excel - How to set column width in absolute units - Stack Overflow

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back