Keyboard locked after shortcuts

Starrbuckk

Hi,

I've been having a problem for a while throughout on different laptops (HP, Asus, Lenovo) and never seem to find a solution for it.
What happens is that after a while working on excel, when i issue a keyboard shortcut like paint a cell, turn text bold, copy paste, freeze panes, etc... excel stops accepting keyboard inputs except F1 (Help) and F6 (Dont know what it is). If i press one of these 2 then excel unlocks and starts accepting other keyboard inputs, otherwise i have to switch between applications or another open excel workbook to temporarily solve the issue.
The problem is that after it starts... it happens every time i use a keyboard shortcut, becoming a frustration to work.
I saw some posts about this problem from some time ago but never a solution.
I'm new to diagnostics so if you want me to give you something please do write the instructions on how i can obtain the information you need.

Thank you all in advance.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.

RoryA

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
365, 2019, 2016, 2010
Platform
Windows, MacOS
What add-ins do you have installed? If you open Excel in safe mode by holding down the Ctrl key while starting the application, does the problem persist?

Starrbuckk

What add-ins do you have installed? If you open Excel in safe mode by holding down the Ctrl key while starting the application, does the problem persist?

I don't have any add-ins installed. I will have to test in safe mode, but something new is ocurring now.
The original problem appears after using excel for a while, like 30 min if i have a lot of heavy files opened or longer if the files are light. Now i have the problem as soon as i open excel but with a different behaviour. It still locks my keyboard from functioning but now lets me select a cell using the touchpad which in turn unlocks the keyboard, and before, with the original, i had to switch between 2 excel workbooks, now i can switch between any open application and it starts working again.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Industrial_Eng_SA

This Week's Hot Topics

• Copy entire row if CountA <>0 to another sheet
    [B]I want to copy entire row if CountA <>0 for column J7:AM7 (headers on J6:AM6) and so on till the last used cell is column D and paste the...
  • Select last used Row in Table
    I have created a Table in a Worksheet which is locked to prevent user errors and protect formula. Some of the cells require freetext entries which...
  • excel workbook: do not allow certain file name
    Hello all, Don't think this has ever been asked before, but how do I restrict file save [Before_Save Event] if the name of the file being saved...
  • fixing problem autofilter
    hello i need help about my code when i search by code in textbox it doesn't show anything this is my data [ATTACH type="full"...
  • “Weight”
    Hi, i’ve got a long sheet filled with weights such as kg,g,L & ml. i can build a formula to convert kg into g and liter into ml. How ever, my...
  • How to capitalize everything before a certain character?
    In column A, I have some text: Hello good day.mp3 Hello good day.flac etc. I'd like to capitalize everything before the period. I don't need the...