Keyboard shortcut to toggle VBA bookmarks

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Is there a VBA IDE keyboard shortcut to toggle bookmarks? If not, can I assign one?

This website claims to list all of the VBA shortcuts, but bookmarks are not listed. Someone asked about bookmarks, but never got an answer.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
If you have the Edit toolbar visible, right click -> Customize -> be on the Commands tab
Select the 'Toggle Bookmark' icon up on the Edit menu
Back at the Customize interface -> Modify Selection -> Change from Default Style to Text Only (Always) -> click Modify Selection again -> in the Name box, move the ampersand from in front of the T (clashes with activating Tools menu) to in front of the 'g' (at least that is where I put it) [Edit: Though probably in front of the B might be more intuitive for 'Toggle Bookmark']

View attachment 13850

Close the Customize dialog.
Alt+g should now toggle bookmarks.
Well, I'll be damned (most likely). It works.

Thank you for that.

The 'jerks' are perhaps not quite as thoughtless as you give them (dis)credit for. ;)
IMHO, this makes them substantially more jerky. This has to be one of the most geeky implementations I have ever seen. It's obtuse beyond even M$FT standards.

If they were going to allow user-defined keyboard shortcuts, why not use a procedure similar to what they already have in Excel and Word?

And why do I have to give up the icon grossly using up limited toolbar space? So they can display the "B"? Stupid. Just display the shortcut, if any, when I hover over it.

I am glad to have this tool, but it does not at all improve my assessment of the VBA developers.

Upvote 0
I didn't know there were bookmarks. On the very few occasions I've used this soft of thing over the years, I type in a comment like
'sh!t
and then when I need to find it, use the find dialog box. delete it entirely after debugging
I've done that, too. It has the advantage that those markers persist after the IDE is closed, whereas the bookmarks do not.

Upvote 0
I've worked with the strangest applications out there. MS products have so many features that work well in comparison to the ones that don't. I'm happy to have a solution even if it's not a perfect one.

Upvote 0
I did a little experimenting and found that I can change the text to something shorter, like &BM, to save space on the toolbar.

Upvote 0
IMHO, this makes them substantially more jerky. This has to be one of the most geeky implementations I have ever seen. It's obtuse beyond even M$FT standards.

If they were going to allow user-defined keyboard shortcuts, why not use a procedure similar to what they already have in Excel and Word?
I don't think it obtuse. It is identical (as far as I can remember) to how you could modify Toolbar images, text and shortcut character in Excel/Word etc before the introduction of the ribbon.
I would definitely not like to see the same arrangement that exists now in the applications themselves where for the vast majority of items on the ribbon or QAT you cannot modify the image, the tool tip text or the shortcut key. For those where you can modify the image all you can do is choose from a set list of a couple of hundred icons. Here (ie vba) you can modify the text and shortcut character pretty much at will and can modify the image with virtually infinite possibilities.
1589619618334.png

And why do I have to give up the icon
Actually, you don't. Choose 'Image & Text' rather than 'Text Only (Always)' that I suggested earlier. Then you could reduce the text further to just '&B' if you are trying to save space since you now again have the image as your reminder of what the button is.

1589619933791.png

And, as I mentioned, you can do what you like with the image. Say you want it to stand out a bit more compared to the other bookmark icons ..
1589621299398.png

or even use a familiar image
1589621590257.png

Upvote 0
I don't think it obtuse. It is identical (as far as I can remember) to how you could modify Toolbar images, text and shortcut character in Excel/Word etc before the introduction of the ribbon.
No, absolutely not. In Word, where I have a lot of personal shortcuts, the procedure is fairly user friendly, at least by M$FT standards. Go to Options (Alt+f, t). Click on Customize Ribbon, then Keyboard Shortcuts: Customize (at the bottom). Find the command or macro you want. The current shortcut will be displayed in the Current Keys: box. If you want to assign a shortcut, click in the Press new shortcut key field and type it. And all three control key combinations are available.

I agree that Excel is a mess. More little goodies from the jerks.

And what about the vaunted compatibility among the office apps. Total BS. Woody Leonhard wrote a book way back in 1994 documenting hundreds (thousands?) of bugs in Word, many of which are still bugs today.

Actually, you don't. Choose 'Image & Text' rather than 'Text Only (Always)' that I suggested earlier. Then you could reduce the text further to just '&B' if you are trying to save space since you now again have the image as your reminder of what the button is.

View attachment 13997
Nice

And, as I mentioned, you can do what you like with the image. Say you want it to stand out a bit more compared to the other bookmark icons ..
View attachment 13998

or even use a familiar image
View attachment 13999
Cute. (y)

Upvote 0
I miss the way we could easily edit & program excel's commandbars before the ribbon

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back