Keyboard shortcuts not working

NewOrderFac33

Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Good morning, - as a Lotus 123 veteran (!) I still use a lot of keyboard shortcuts within Excel such as Alt+f (File) followed by c to close the active workbook.
Whilst these work most of the time, sometimes they don't and the above sequence will result in a "c" appearing in the active cell, and I have to use the X button to close the workbook instead.
Another is Alt-o c w to adjust a column width /row height that leaves me with a w.
Whilst not a massive inconvenience, I'm curious to identifiy the circumstances or settings that might make this happen. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance
Pete

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
I still use occasional Alt+? shortcuts and sometimes see the same issue (especially Alt-D-F-F to turn on autofilters). I see this most often on wireless keyboards where the keystrokes are too fast and/or it is not recognising the Alt key press (but then I also sometimes see it on the laptop keyboard). I wonder if there is some other process trying to interpret the keystroke which is preventing it from happening as intended. I also see the same if I am using an Alt shortcut where I haven't used one in a while, whereas subsequent attempts always work. I find that if you slow it down by half a second and confirm the shortcut keys have appeared on the Excel menu before pressing the next key, then I have fewer issues with the few legacy shortcuts that I use.

I recommend learning the native shortcuts. For example to close the active workbook press Ctrl+W (new workbook is Ctrl+N, print is Ctrl+P, open is Ctrl+O, save is Ctrl+S etc.). I know that doesn't help for your favourite keystroke shortcuts and it is "hard to teach an old dog new tricks" but once you get the hang of the new shortcuts, I reckon you will find some of them will be easier. FYI here is a resource on shortcuts (which also has alt shortcuts!): https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...in-Excel-1798d9d5-842a-42b8-9c99-9b7213f0040f

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have noticed the same thing, but if you type them slowly, like a second between ALT and the next key in the sequence it will work, super frustrating!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back