KeyPresssed Eevent not being called

dbaechtel

I am trying to do certain actions like "Target.Interior.Color = vbYellow" when any value is entered into certain excel cells.

I have a KeyPressApi Class StartKeyPressLoop() that monitors the Message loop for keypress messages and the does:
Code:
  MsgBox ("raise event")
  RaiseEvent KeyPressed(msgMessage.wParam, iKeyCode, Selection, bCancel)
That all works fine.

The Workbook_Open does a Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate call that does:
Code:
    If CKeyWatcher Is Nothing Then
        Set CKeyWatcher = New KeyPressApi
    End If
    CKeyWatcher.StartKeyPressLoop
to begin the message monitoring.

I also have:
Code:
     Public Event KeyPressed _
    (ByVal KeyAscii As Integer, _
     ByVal KeyCode As Integer, _
     ByVal Target As Range, _
     ByRef Cancel As Boolean)

And in the worksheet:
Code:
Private Sub CKeyWatcher_KeyPressed(ByVal KeyAscii As Integer, ByVal KeyCode As Integer, ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
    MsgBox ("key pressed")
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("B10:B11")) Is Nothing Then 'KeyPressed in B10 or B11
        valueEntered = True
        MsgBox ("Value entered")

End If
End Sub

So the following should happen:
  • Opening the Workbook should cause Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate to be executed.
  • Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate should start CKeyWatcher.StartKeyPressLoop execution to monitor the message loop.
  • On any key press StartKeyPressLoop does RaiseEvent KeyPressed(msgMessage.wParam, iKeyCode, Selection, bCancel).
  • RaiseEvent should cause Private Sub CKeyWatcher_KeyPressed to run
  • Private Sub CKeyWatcher_KeyPressed routine will set flags that tell me that a value in the cells that I am interested in have changed.
  • The Private Sub Worksheet_Change() routine will then use these flags to do Target.Interior.Color = vbYellow

Based on the Msgboxes, the Worksheet_Activate is called, the RaiseEvent is executed for every key press, but the CKeyWatcher_KeyPressed is not invoked by the RaiseEvent, most of the time.

Why does the RaiseEvent not cause the CKeyWatcher_KeyPressed to be executed?

Is there an easier and more reliable way to do this without using a message loop monitor?

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
I have ran into problems with RaiseEvent when combined with APIs .. Have you tried making the CKeyWatcher_KeyPressed routine Public and executing it via the Call statement from inside the Class module instead of using RaiseEvent ? something like this:
Code:
Call Sheet1.KeyPressed(msgMessage.wParam, iKeyCode, Selection, bCancel)
Change "Sheet1" as needed

Is there an easier and more reliable way to do this without using a message loop monitor?

The only thing I can think of is using a Keyboard hook such as WH_KEYBOARD_LL .. I think it is better than using the Waitmessage/PeekMessage/GetMessage APIs inside a constant loop which has impact on performance and which can be easily interrupted accidentally (Actually, the RaiseEvent issue may be due to the loop) ... However, installing a hook is a bit dangerous and has to be set up properly to avoid potential crashings

Which excel version are you using ? and are you using a 32bit or 64bit Windows ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You may also want to use a high resolution API Timer such as SetTimer/KillTimer together with the GetAsyncKeyState API which is easier to code than a propper keyboard hook but you won't be able to use the Cancel Argument of the custom event

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solitario

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back