Know if specific columns were deleted

jacko2401

Hi

I have a worksheet_change event that I want to put in place but I am having problems ensuring that this event exits if columns A to E are accidentally deleted.

I had the same problem with my code if a row was inserted but I started the event with the following:

Public Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

If Target.Columns.Count = ActiveSheet.Columns.Count Then Exit Sub

This works fine. However, I am not sure how I can trap the possibility of someone accidentally deleting columns A to E as this will trigger hundreds of message boxes confirming an error that I set up for every cell change. Obviously I do not want this to happen so would like an easy way to either prompt the user to confirm if they want to delete the entire column or allow it and exit the worksheet_change event.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
You could use something like:

Code:
If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
Code:

That way if the user selects more than one cell to do anything, it will not execute the event code.

Upvote 0
How are the errors triggered? If it's event-based, you could set a condition when you detect the columns being deleted. In those cases, Target.Address will be something like "$A:$E" (without row numbers). Then, you can do Application.EnableEvents = False, so that events stop processing until the error is resolved.

Honestly, my best advice would be to lock those first five columns and protect the worksheet so that those columns can't be deleted. That should be feasible, so long as you don't have some other specific protection setting.

Upvote 0
The target area can be more than one cell unfortunately as entries get copied/pasted in bulk sometimes. I think iliace's suggestion of protecting those cells so they can be modified but not deed seems to be the way forward. Thanks guys.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back