Lag on First Data Entry after Recalc

alwise

Hi, I'm using Excel 2016 64bit on Win10. I have a 195Mb workbook, 7 sheets. Set to manual recalc and the book calcs in 2-3 seconds which is fine. My issue is that enter entering a value in one of the 50 or so input cells (all on sheet1), excel is typically unresponsive for up to 20 seconds before I can enter another value.

The first entry after recalculating always causes a lag. After that I can change several cells without issue and manual calcs without problem, with one exception. If after entering 1st value if I delete that value I again get a lengthy lag.

I don't think it's a calc issue but there are no volatile functions. I've used vba to create cell references to precedent functions, I'm not using any index functions. I removed all formatting and conditional formatting. I've disabled add-ins, turned hardware acceleration off, made microsoft xps default printer, moved input sheet to separate sheet. Nothing has helped. I've used tables on data in other 6 sheets and converted back to ranges, no impact.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Welcome to the forum.

I suggest that the calculation lag is purely a consequence of having such a large file - 195Mb is huge.

Is there any of it you can move to an external file? Better yet, is it the case that a large portion of the file is taken up by raw data? In so, the data could be stored in the Excel's Data Model and accessed through PowerQuery or PowerBI instead of residing in the worksheet.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.

I suggest that the calculation lag is purely a consequence of having such a large file - 195Mb is huge.

Is there any of it you can move to an external file? Better yet, is it the case that a large portion of the file is taken up by raw data? In so, the data could be stored in the Excel's Data Model and accessed through PowerQuery or PowerBI instead of residing in the worksheet.

I've used powerquery in the past. I can't say I've seen a big advantage to using datamodel versus using access backend with either PQ of MS Query. Again, thougn, I don't believe it's a calc issue. I can calc in a few seconds (powerquery would be much longer).

Upvote 0
Solved...while it's true that calcs only took 2-3 seconds, the delay on data entry appears to have been the result of excel marking all dependent cells (which cascade accross helper sheets) as dirty, i.e. smart calculation.

The workaround for me was using vba ActiveWorkbook.ForceFullCalculation = True, which turns smart calcs off. I then can enter values either manually or by vba, and the resulting calc time is still far less that the smart calc updates required, marking each dependent cell as dirty on data entry.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back