LAMBDA Function to create a dynamic array from data whose rows grow (or shrink) - _FredRange

jdellasala

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
  3. Web
A while back I discovered an Excel Add-In called FRED Data provided by the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis. What it does is allow you to retrieve data from various Federal agencies such as the Consumer Price Index from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The problem is that the data is retrieved as plain values of Date and Value (just 2 columns) making formulas difficult. The data can’t be put into a Table because when the data is updated or the frequency (Annual, Quarterly, etc.) or as new rows are added for newer reports changes, the Table does not.

I created a function I call _FredRange whose only parameter is the cell of the top left cell of the data (first Date here) and produces a two column array (date and value as provided by the FRED add-in). The formula is:

Excel Formula:
=LAMBDA(fCell,IF(ISFORMULA(fCell),"Formula in "&ADDRESS(ROW(fCell),COLUMN(fCell),4)&": "&FORMULATEXT(fCell),""))

The function dynamically creates an array of the data by counting the number of rows in the data provided by FRED two columns wide. The optional Cols parameter allows for including an extra column that adjusts the data provided. For example, the Unemployment Rate is provided as a Percent value, but the value is actually the Percent value times 100. To get the actual percentage the values need to be divided by 100 which could be done in a 3rd column next to the data FRED provides and included in the dynamic array created by _FredRange.

The FILTER at the end is because sometimes a date is provided in the first column, but the Value provided is #N/A – meaning the most recent value which hasn’t been provided yet.
What I’ve found is creating Named Ranges for the resulting array allows for easily using the data.
For example, if I use the formula in Cell E8 for CPI (Consumer Price Index) data, I can easily create 3 Named Ranges to utilize the data. For example the range Cpi which is =F8# to reference all the data retrieved by _FredRange, CpiDt =INDEX(Cpi,,1) to reference the Date column, and CpiVal =INDEX(Cpi,,2) to reference the Value column.

I wouldn't be surprised if a similar LAMBDA function has already been posted - with possibly probably has better code, although acquiring this kind of data that cannot be easily manipulated using tables or formulas, or Power Query is unusual. If nothing else, the FRED add-in is certainly worth the read!

P.S. I start all of my LAMBDA functions start with an underscore to make them easier to find.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
I think you've done one of my tricks and put the wrong formula in the post :oops:

Upvote 0
Solution
Jeez! And on my first post!! The correct formula is:
Excel Formula:
=LAMBDA(TopLeft,[Cols],LET(Aary,OFFSET(TopLeft,,,COUNTA(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(TopLeft),COLUMN(TopLeft),1)&":"&ADDRESS(1048576-ROW(TopLeft),COLUMN(TopLeft),1))),IF(ISOMITTED(Cols),2,Cols)),FILTER(Aary,ISNUMBER(INDEX(Aary,,2)))))

Thanks for the heads up! Wish I could just fix the original post not just to prevent confusion, but to stop the embarrassment!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back