Laptops

What is more embarrassing for a child?

• Pooing yourself at a a freinds house

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Peeing in a bin when you are sleepwalking

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

thinbluice

I am about to start a graphic design course and am thinking off getting a laptop can anyone recommend me any good and cheap ones and where to buy

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Cheap is about the worst criteria you can use when selecting a laptop or, for that matter, any other tool that you expect to use to accomplish a job. I fix computers for a living, and can tell you that I have seen many many people that were devestated when they found that their "cheap" laptop which they were so proud of when they got it, screwed up and they lost some important data, pictures, whatever. There are many good brands, I seldom give recommendations to any one, but what I advise that you look for is serviceabillity of the one that you do get. I also recommend that if you buy a laptop, buy from a company that offers, and honors, an extended and that you get that warranty. I know this does not really answer your question, but it is what I tell most people that come to my store and ask the same question you have asked here.

Ditto on what Elgringo said.

Because of work (and experience) I stick with Dell, but they can be a bit pricey. I just ordered a Precision Workstation M60, their most powerful (and heaviest) laptop, but it's close to $4K (without all the stuff I wanted).

On the other hand, especially in a graphic design class, I saw a Toshiba last weekend with a 17" screen and an almost full size keyboard! P4, 3Gb & 512 RAM, 80Gb HD for $1,700. It was at Costco of all places! Costco PC's

The RAM could probably use an upgrade (room to go to 2Gb), but my wife will probably grab one of those puppies, as she does a ton of work in PhotoShop, Illustrator, etc., so the screen will be a huge benefit for her.

Toshiba has a good warranty and makes some pretty quality stuff. You might also find a deal or two at Gateway, as they're still scrambling for marketshare (and laying people off...)

Smitty

I've owned two Dell Latitude laptops, and I never plan on owning another. Terrible computers... Just a heads up. :)

thinbluice said:
I am about to start a graphic design course and am thinking off getting a laptop can anyone recommend me any good and cheap ones and where to buy

Either this or this. Tremendous value and style in a laptop. :D

-sam

Either this or this . Tremendous value and style in a laptop. :D
Yeah, but then you've gotta' use a SMAC. (Although they are great for graphics).

Smitty

Two places to look at for the actual purchase are:

www.tigerdirect.com and www.newegg.com

These are but 2 of many. Before you start comparing models you need to determine what the full extent of your needs are. For example: battery life, weight, screen size, RAM, chipsets, drives, and networking. Once you have a better idea of what you want/need, then you have a basis for comparing different models and determining the value of what you get for the price. Expect to pay $1k usd or more for a good quality machine that will provide for your needs and last over the long term.

HTH,

countingapples

pennysaver said:
Either this or this . Tremendous value and style in a laptop. :D
Yeah, but then you've gotta' use a SMAC. (Although they are great for graphics).

Smitty

Nothing wrong with that, my 15" Powerbook is a thing of beauty, and if you don't like OSX you can always replace it with Linux. ;)

-sam

NateO said:
I've owned two Dell Latitude laptops, and I never plan on owning another. Terrible computers... Just a heads up. :)

Hi!

Just curious as to why you dislike the Dell Latitude's so much? Me personally, I always opt to build my own, but may buy a 'packaged' laptop for my next one. ( I seem to be having increasingly less and less time! )

Hello Zack,

I've had two Dell laptops, both new and for less than 3 years each. Here's where I've been with them:

1) Two replacement displays
2) One replacement hard drive
3) One replacement battery
4) None of the jacks, including the power, worked on my last dell laptop

Also, they burn hotter than Hades (on the bottom!) and it felt like only 1 mb of RAM actually worked: Not good.

I do like my sister's Dell desktop, but with my experience, I have a hard time pushing Dell laptops. At the very least, make sure your warranty is up to snuff.

I just got an IBM X40, so far, so good. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danger_SF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back