Large Excel File keep in RAM

Excalibur13

I work with an excel file which is 550 MB, and it's a pain when trying to open the file because it takes forever and open/close it throughout the day. Is there a way where I can for the file to stay in RAM and have basically instant opening for the file?

Anyone heard of such method or if it's even possible?

Thanks,
Excal.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Ram Disks are a sure-fire option. However when excel files start getting big like this managing calculative performance with named ranges and the like becomes essential.

Could you move the main body of data over to SQL or setup a local apache server to handle the data. And don't fear the transition to SQL, I spent years skirtinga round it but with the help of this forum and YouTube I got the solution I was looking for.

The other option is to use XLwings, super charge your workbook with the full power of Python to stream the data via MySql.

Upvote 0
It's been a long time since I played with something like this, but you might want to look into Ram Disks.

How to Supercharge Your PC With a RAM Disk | PCWorld

Thanks. I'm aware of RAM disks but the file is located on a server, and everyday there is a new file created with different name. I'm looking for a way to either run a program or something which will load it once in RAM and keep it there until i release the file from there or shut down my PC. Im not concerned with 500 MB of my RAM consistently dedicated to the file.

Upvote 0
Hmmm. lol only thing i fear is who is going to maintain the SQL server which will contain the data. Someone will need to maintain the database so the table where the information is stored gets updated everyday with the new file's data. Was curious if there is something I could do with forcing the file to stay in RAM.

This is something Microsoft should look into creating. Could be a very useful tool, to allow users to manually store files into RAM. Let the users store what they want in RAM.

Upvote 0
Did you see the link I posted?

Keep in mind however, that you would definitely want to write data to hard disk periodically, because if your computer loses power, so is your data in RAM.

Upvote 0
Tell us more about your excel file what sort of data is in it. Could it be condenced into totals or just barebones data and have say a quick access file along side.

The other option could be ADO (active data objects) you could have a connection to the data always open if the file name was predictable.

Sorry written on my BlackBerry

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back