Large spreadsheet problems

excelistheway

Office Version
  1. 365
I just recently started to intern at a big firm and the first thing the boss asked me to do was an Excel tracker for KPI's that spans across all weeks of the year. I used a large spreadsheet tracker that was sent to me as a template. The CTRL+SHIFT+arrow functions would not work and it would end up selecting the entire spreadsheet. Why does this happen and how can I overcome this problem.

When I was done with the entire spreadsheet, the boss asked me to place weekly separator columns. Again the shortcuts would not work and the separators ended up going all the way down to the millionth row. I sent the spreadsheet with these flaws and am extremely embarrassed by them. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
CTRL+SHIFT+Arrow seems to be working as intended with the arrow keys selecting all rows or columns depending on which arrow direction you press. Maybe you intended for SHIFT+Arrow?

Upvote 0
Sounds like there is data in your last row of the workbook. That can be both visible (numbers, letters) and invisible (a space, formatting).

Go to the last row with data you need to keep. Then remove all rows below it. If you then save the file it should solve the problem. As a bonus, it will make the filesize significantly smaller.

Be sure to do this with an copy of the workbook! When you have done so, check that none of your formulas and refences have been broken. Also check that your pivot tables still update properly when new data is added to the workbook!

Upvote 0
Sounds like there is data in your last row of the workbook. That can be both visible (numbers, letters) and invisible (a space, formatting).

Go to the last row with data you need to keep. Then remove all rows below it. If you then save the file it should solve the problem. As a bonus, it will make the filesize significantly smaller.

Be sure to do this with an copy of the workbook! When you have done so, check that none of your formulas and refences have been broken. Also check that your pivot tables still update properly when new data is added to the workbook!
Thanks petertenthinje.

I tried to deleted the rows below starting row 109. The problem is that when I do the Ctrl+Shift+ right shortcut to select to the right, it selects everything from the top of the spreadsheet as well. I wonder if the merged cells or something about the way the sheet is formatted is causing the issue. I am attaching a screenshot.

Thank you to everyone who commented.
Untitled.png

Upvote 0
Thanks petertenthinje.

I tried to deleted the rows below starting row 109. The problem is that when I do the Ctrl+Shift+ right shortcut to select to the right, it selects everything from the top of the spreadsheet as well. I wonder if the merged cells or something about the way the sheet is formatted is causing the issue. I am attaching a screenshot.

Thank you to everyone who commented.View attachment 37477
On second thought, I should have used some sort of thick bordered cell to do the month separators instead of an entire gray column that goes on till infinity.
Is there anything else I can change to make it better?

Upvote 0
Get rid of merged cells. All of them. They are a menace to spreadsheets that cause more trouble then they are worth.

Upvote 0
Get rid of merged cells. All of them. They are a menace to spreadsheets that cause more trouble then they are worth.
Actually this is the way the AD made the original sheet that I used as a template. Is there a work around? I know you can use 'distribute horizontally' but don't know if that would work or solve my problem.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry for posting twice but it won't let me edit my previous post. I clicked into each of the cells, and found that the cells are not merged, just appears that way because of no borders. So there still isn't any explanation as to why it won't let me use keyboard shortcuts to scroll and select at the same time.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back