Last digit changes unless a dash is used

roc_ent

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to set up an sheet to track orders. Starting in cell D2 I have a 15 digit number ending in 358. When I key the order number in, the end part of 358 changes to 350. I've formatted the cell to number and reduced the decimals to none, still changes to 350. Tried formatting to General, Number even custom with 15 ####s still the final digit changes to 350 instead of 358 unless I put in a dash then its fine the last digit stays as 358. So far the only way I can get the 358 digit to stay is to format the cell as a number and manually remove the .00 I've even deleted the entire column in case I had formatted it wrong and still in the new cell 358 changes to 350????o_O

Attachments

• mr.excel.JPG
    mr.excel.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 7

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
That is a 16 digit number (not 15) & excel only displays 15 significant digits. One way to stop that happening is to use text values rather than numbers.

Upvote 0
Solution
That is a 16 digit number (not 15) & excel only displays 15 significant digits. One way to stop that happening is to use text values rather than numbers.
Fluff, you have come to my rescue once again. Thank you for that information as it was driving me crazy. I did not realize that Excel only did 15 digits. Again, thanks.

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back