Last non-blank cell in CF (Conditional Formatting)

AttiM

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, this is my very first post here, thanks in advance for every advice.

I need a solution for highlighting items which are in group, based on the number of connected items in the first row of group.
Look at the bordered cells in B2:C14 in this Mini Sheet.
The goal is to highlight cells in column B based on the numbers in column C - if there is a number X in a row in column C we need to highlight the cells in column B in the same row and in the next X-1 rows according to X, without using any auxiliary column for calculating, using Condition Formatting only.
You can see the correctly highlighted cells in column B.
CF-last nonempty cells.xlsx
ABCDEFG
2Itemsconnected itemsrow number of last non-empty cell above (and include) the current rowvalue of last non-empty cell above (and include) the current rowcondition: current row number >= E and <= E+F
3Aaaa00FALSE
4Bbbb00FALSE
5CcccA252TRUE
6CcccB52TRUE
7Dddd52FALSE
8Eeee52FALSE
9FfffA494TRUE
10FfffB94TRUE
11FfffC94TRUE
12FfffD94TRUE
13Gggg94FALSE
14Hhhh94FALSE
15=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(INDIRECT("C4:C"&ROW())<>""),ROW(INDIRECT("C4:C"&ROW()))),0)=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(INDIRECT("C4:C"&ROW())<>""),INDIRECT("C4:C"&ROW())),0)=AND(ROW()>=E14,ROW()<E14+F14)
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E3:E14E3=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(INDIRECT("C4:C"&ROW())<>""),ROW(INDIRECT("C4:C"&ROW()))),0)
F3:F14F3=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(INDIRECT("C4:C"&ROW())<>""),INDIRECT("C4:C"&ROW())),0)
G3:G14G3=AND(ROW()>=E3,ROW()<E3+F3)

My steps:
1. Find the row number of last non-empty cell above (and include) the current row in column E.
I can use the "classic" formula for this:
=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(INDIRECT("C4:C"&ROW())<>""),ROW(INDIRECT("C4:C"&ROW()))),0)
or the newer method:
=IFERROR(XLOOKUP(TRUE,INDIRECT("C3:C"&ROW())<>"",ROW(INDIRECT("C3:C"&ROW())),,,-1),0)
2. Get the value of this last non-empty cell in column F:
=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(INDIRECT("C4:C"&ROW())<>""),INDIRECT("C4:C"&ROW())),0)
3. Create the condition in column G: If current row number >= E and < E+F:
=AND(ROW()>=E3,ROW()<E3+F3)
As you can see in column G, the method is correct, we can see TRUE in every row where the highlighting is needed.

Applying these formulas in Conditional Formatting:
1. referencing directly to the logical values in column G: it's OK (see the screenshot Képernyőkép 2021-08-12 132455.png)
2. using the formula in CF which is in column G (=AND(ROW()>=E3,ROW()<E3+F3)): Fine too (Képernyőkép 2021-08-12 132603.png)

3. replace the references for column E and F in this formula =AND(ROW()>=E3,ROW()<E3+F3):
=AND(ROW()>=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2;1/(INDIRECT("C3:C6")<>"");ROW(INDIRECT("C3:C"&ROW())));0);
ROW()<IFERROR(LOOKUP(2;1/(INDIRECT("C3:C6")<>"");ROW(INDIRECT("C3:C"&ROW())));0)
+ IFERROR(LOOKUP(2;1/(INDIRECT("C3:C6")<>"");INDIRECT("C3:C"&ROW()));0))
and using this complex formula in CF: it doesn't work! :( Képernyőkép 2021-08-12 133200.png

Spending a lot of time to figure out why is this failure and what can be the solution, I found that the root of the problem is using ROW() in INDIRECT.
For testing I replace INDIRECT("C3:C"&ROW()) with INDIRECT("C3:C6"), and it works - of course only for the first group Képernyőkép 2021-08-12 133841.png

I believe that using ROW() in the formula in CF is must needed to achieve my goal.
And I don't want to use auxiliary column for calculating the logical values for CF (like here in column G), because in fact I have thousands of rows and it takes too much time for calculating cells in column G every time when anything has changed in column C.

So, if you have enough time for experimentations and searching for a solution for my problem I would highly appreciate!
Thanks a lot,
AttiM

Attachments

• Képernyőkép 2021-08-12 130437.png
    Képernyőkép 2021-08-12 130437.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 17

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
How are the values in column C filled?
Is there some condition or formula or code that that does it or they are filled manually?
Are there any similar parts between the connected items in column B, or this is just for example?

Upvote 0
How are the values in column C filled?
Is there some condition or formula or code that that does it or they are filled manually?
Are there any similar parts between the connected items in column B, or this is just for example?
Hi bobsan42, thanks for quick reply.
In reality there is no any correlation between the members, neither similar parts nor anything (you can see just examples here). The connection between is based only on the number of group members filled manually by user in column C (and they should be in consecutive positions).
AttiM

Upvote 0
And you absolutely should not use a helper column? Such approach would simplify things a lot.

Upvote 0
And you absolutely should not use a helper column? Such approach would simplify things a lot.
Yes I know, the solution is ready if I can use helper column. As I mentioned, I have thousands of rows and calculating the changes in column C takes 1.5 sec for every 1.000 rows. So the user would have to wait a long time if we use the easier method.

Upvote 0
Don't think CF will be much faster.
I modified your solution a bit. Basically ditched the INDIRECT and some othe small things. And it works for me.
The only drawback is there will be no distinction between groups if some of them are consecutive.
CF Book1.xlsx
ABC
2Itemsconnected items
3Aaaa
4Bbbb
5CcccA2
6CcccB
7Dddd
8Eeee
9FfffA4
10FfffB
11FfffC
12FfffD
13Gggg
14Hhhh
Sheet1
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
B3:B14Expression=AND(ROW($B3)>=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(ISNUMBER($C$1:$C3)),ROW($C$1:$C3)),0),ROW($B3)<IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(ISNUMBER($C$1:$C3)),ROW($C$1:$C3)),0)+IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(ISNUMBER($C$1:$C3)),$C$1:$C3),0))textNO

There are 3 parts to it as in your solution:
first find the last row with number in col. C
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(ISNUMBER($C$1:$C3)),ROW($C$1:$C3)),0)
then get the actual number:
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(ISNUMBER($C$1:$C3)),$C$1:$C3),0)
then check if the row cell of the cell in col. B is between the first and the sum of the two:
Excel Formula:
=AND(ROW($B3)>=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(ISNUMBER($C$1:$C3)),ROW($C$1:$C3)),0),ROW($B3)<IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(ISNUMBER($C$1:$C3)),ROW($C$1:$C3)),0)+IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(ISNUMBER($C$1:$C3)),$C$1:$C3),0))

Upvote 0
Solution
Don't think CF will be much faster.
I modified your solution a bit. Basically ditched the INDIRECT and some othe small things. And it works for me.
The only drawback is there will be no distinction between groups if some of them are consecutive.
CF Book1.xlsx
ABC
2Itemsconnected items
3Aaaa
4Bbbb
5CcccA2
6CcccB
7Dddd
8Eeee
9FfffA4
10FfffB
11FfffC
12FfffD
13Gggg
14Hhhh
Sheet1
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
B3:B14Expression=AND(ROW($B3)>=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(ISNUMBER($C$1:$C3)),ROW($C$1:$C3)),0),ROW($B3)<IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(ISNUMBER($C$1:$C3)),ROW($C$1:$C3)),0)+IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(ISNUMBER($C$1:$C3)),$C$1:$C3),0))textNO

There are 3 parts to it as in your solution:
first find the last row with number in col. C
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(ISNUMBER($C$1:$C3)),ROW($C$1:$C3)),0)
then get the actual number:
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(ISNUMBER($C$1:$C3)),$C$1:$C3),0)
then check if the row cell of the cell in col. B is between the first and the sum of the two:
Excel Formula:
=AND(ROW($B3)>=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(ISNUMBER($C$1:$C3)),ROW($C$1:$C3)),0),ROW($B3)<IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(ISNUMBER($C$1:$C3)),ROW($C$1:$C3)),0)+IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/(ISNUMBER($C$1:$C3)),$C$1:$C3),0))

bobsan42: Thank you so much! It really works! So, the key is: don't use indirect in CF.
You're right it's a bit faster but not much. I will try to add another criteria: because the number of elements in a group won't be more than 50, so it's enough to examine only 50 rows above the current row in CF.
Thanks a lot,
Attila

Upvote 0
bobsan42: Thank you so much! It really works! So, the key is: don't use indirect in CF.
You're right it's a bit faster but not much. I will try to add another criteria: because the number of elements in a group won't be more than 50, so it's enough to examine only 50 rows above the current row in CF.
Thanks a lot,
Attila
Team work ;) .
Be careful with this modification though. You will run in range trouble with the first 50 rows or so and you won't gain much anyway, if anything. It is the amount of cells that have to be formatted that counts the most.
And yes - there are functions which cannot be used with CF. It is not only INDIRECT.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back