last occurance of closest match

jack_of_trades

Hey guys, I need to find the last CLOSEST MATCH occurrence in a column of number values. The lookup value won't be an exact match so I need to find the last occurrence that is the closest to the lookup value. I found plenty of ways to find an exact match online but I am having a hard time finding it for 'closest match'. I am not savvy enough to find a way to incorporate the 'closest match' formula into the 'last occurrence' formula yet.

Ideally I would prefer the closest match to be <= rather than >= but I'll settle for anything at this point,lol.

I then need to have it return the row# that the last occurrence is in.

Thanks in advance,
Jamie

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
The Excel function MATCH() actually behaves the way you want when you set the last parameter to TRUE, but the data itself must be sorted.

Excel Workbook
ABCDE
1ValuesMatchResult RowResult Value
Sheet3

Upvote 0
The data I am looking up is engine RPM values as someone accelerates thru 4-5 gears so there will be multiple 'closest matches' but I need the LAST one in the column. Will the setup you posted be affected by this situation? Sorry that I forgot to add that info to my post. (noobie):(

Upvote 0
The data I am looking up is engine RPM values as someone accelerates thru 4-5 gears so there will be multiple 'closest matches' but I need the LAST one in the column. Will the setup you posted be affected by this situation? Sorry that I forgot to add that info to my post. (noobie):(

If the values are in ascending order like this...

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=64><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 48pt; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 height=19 width=64>Values</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 height=19 align=right>20</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 height=19 align=right>40</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 height=19 align=right>40</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 height=19 align=right>50</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 height=19 align=right>60</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 height=19 align=right>60</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 height=19 align=right>70</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 height=19 align=right>70</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 height=19 align=right>70</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 height=19 align=right>80</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 height=19 align=right>90</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 height=19 align=right>100</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 height=19 align=right>100</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 height=19 align=right>110</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

and the lookup value of interest, say, in C2 = 72, the result would be: 9, with

=MATCH(C2,A2:A15,1)

where 1 is functionally the same as TRUE.

Is this not what you wanted?

Upvote 0
Well, here is a rough example of the way the numbers occur down the column:

RPM:

Lookup value = 5501

So ideally, the row# I am trying to lookup would be the italic value but I would settle for the value in bold to be returned too. Whichever is easiest at this point. Due to sensor output fluctuations and such, the RPM values are not always linear either, just throwing that out there in case someone needs that info for something on this.

Upvote 0
Could you explain the logic of why you want this row number should be returned?

There is an exact match in your data set, so why wouldn't this row number be returned?

Matty

Upvote 0
Could you explain the logic of why you want this row number should be returned?

There is an exact match in your data set, so why wouldn't this row number be returned?

Matty

I put an exact match in the example to show that Im NOT looking for an exact match, just the LAST 'closest match'. I need to trim the data range for a chart but I need to know the exact location that the 1/4 mile race ended. I can calculate the exact RPM that occurs at the end of the race so that is what I am looking for...the last time the driver crossed this particular RPM value (or as close to it as possible).

I hope that helps, thanks for trying to help me with this!

Upvote 0
You're in safer hands with Aladin, but here's an option:

Sheet1

<TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; PADDING-LEFT: 2pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 2pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Arial; FONT-SIZE: 10pt" border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 30px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"><COL style="WIDTH: 19px"><COL style="WIDTH: 86px"><COL style="WIDTH: 64px"></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-WEIGHT: bold"><TD></TD><TD>A</TD><TD>B</TD><TD>C</TD><TD>D</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">1</TD><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">RPM:</TD><TD></TD><TD>Lookup Value</TD><TD>Row No.</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">2</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">3500</TD><TD></TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">5501</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">22</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">3800</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">4</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">4120</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">5</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">4790</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">6</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">5500</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">7</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">5712</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">8</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">3610</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">9</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">3790</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">10</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">4680</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">11</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">5231</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">12</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">5427</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">13</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">5501</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">14</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">5680</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">15</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">5679</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">16</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">3548</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">17</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">3790</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">18</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">4175</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">19</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">4401</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">20</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">4900</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">21</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">5219</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">22</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">5410</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">23</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-STYLE: italic; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; TEXT-DECORATION: underline">5490</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">24</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; FONT-WEIGHT: bold">5530</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 17px"><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cacaca; FONT-SIZE: 8pt">25</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">5700</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Formula in D2 is:

=MATCH(LOOKUP(2,1/(ABS(C2-A2:A25>=0)),A2:A25),A2:A25,0)

Matty

Upvote 0
Apologies, but the formula I posted is somewhat flawed. :oops:

I shall see if I can come up with something a tad more robust!

Matty

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back