Launch Excel from the Web

DANNER

Hello-- This question relates to problems when launching Excel from a link on a web page.

SCENARIO: I have an Excel workbook with some pretty involved VBA code. The code creates a budgeting and reporting application against an OLAP database. A new requirement has come up to make this workbook available to around 300 users. To send the workbook to these users individually would become a nightmare in maintenance and support. So, I have put the file on a shared drive. Now, the powers that be want the workbook launched from a link on a web page.

Here are my issues:

1) The code was not originally designed to run through a browser, so I plan to have the link open the Excel application. Is there a way to have the workbook opened from a link without it asking the user to "Open" or "Save" the file?

2) Originally the workbook was an Excel Add-in (.XLA), so it never asked to enable/disable macros. Now (because of the way new requirements are setup), I need to have a "main menu" (my first sheet) with some buttons. Therefore it prompts to enable/disable. I have thought about writing some type of LAUNCHER in VB6 which opens the workbook, and compile as .EXE-- and have the link call the launcher. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

3) I have a menu that is created during Workbook_Open(). Problem is, that during testing of the link (after opening Excel application and then the Workbook), every thing is working fine except when I choose something from the menu-- it trys to reopen the workbook from the server. I'm not sure why this is happening. This does not happen if I launch Excel and the workbook outside of the browser.

4) Any helpful links on deploying Excel or Excel on the Web??

Thanks for your help!

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JiNXX9500

This Week's Hot Topics

• Change military grades into rank
    Afternoon all Need help with formula that will change military rank (i.e. 1, 2, 3 into Amn, A1C, SrA). Running IF formula that does not work...
  • VBA COUNTIF SOLUTION
    Hi The following are the errors spread across the several columns from E to Q ie. 13 columns across several sheets with more than 500 rows per...
  • INSERT ROW WITH SPECIFIS TEXT IN A COLUMN
    Hi All! How can identify that that the row to be inserted has to be inserted before 1st row with specific text in column F. If I record the...
  • Auto-Create a monthly Sign in sheet for preschool students
    The image below is what each page looks like. Above is space for the "Child Name" "Month" "Class" School days are obviously Monday-Friday but...
  • VBA vlookup multiple results
    Hi folks, Hopefully someone out there can help. I have a list to vlookup which works (ish). the lookup only picks up the first instance of the...
  • Extract values for earliest/latest times
    I am trying to put together a formula to get the earliest start time, the latest end time from column A for each person in Column B-F without the...