Launch Excel from the Web

DANNER

Hello-- This question relates to problems when launching Excel from a link on a web page.

SCENARIO: I have an Excel workbook with some pretty involved VBA code. The code creates a budgeting and reporting application against an OLAP database. A new requirement has come up to make this workbook available to around 300 users. To send the workbook to these users individually would become a nightmare in maintenance and support. So, I have put the file on a shared drive. Now, the powers that be want the workbook launched from a link on a web page.

Here are my issues:

1) The code was not originally designed to run through a browser, so I plan to have the link open the Excel application. Is there a way to have the workbook opened from a link without it asking the user to "Open" or "Save" the file?

2) Originally the workbook was an Excel Add-in (.XLA), so it never asked to enable/disable macros. Now (because of the way new requirements are setup), I need to have a "main menu" (my first sheet) with some buttons. Therefore it prompts to enable/disable. I have thought about writing some type of LAUNCHER in VB6 which opens the workbook, and compile as .EXE-- and have the link call the launcher. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

3) I have a menu that is created during Workbook_Open(). Problem is, that during testing of the link (after opening Excel application and then the Workbook), every thing is working fine except when I choose something from the menu-- it trys to reopen the workbook from the server. I'm not sure why this is happening. This does not happen if I launch Excel and the workbook outside of the browser.

4) Any helpful links on deploying Excel or Excel on the Web??

Thanks for your help!

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitsomani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back