Layered Cells in Excel for the Creation of a 3-Dimensional Spreadsheet...?

WTW_4

I would like to create a calendar using Excel (2007), with each cell representing one day. I need to show the day of the month for each cell, but would like for that number to be ignored with respect to the data that is placed within each cell. I would like to represent the date with a large one or two digit number that more or less fills each cell, but which is somewhat transparent so that it does not obscure the data that is shown in each cell.

I looked through Excel's various options to see if there is a way to cause the date to recede to the background with the data placed in the foreground, much as can be done with Visio and similar drawing applications. I didn't see any options for causing something to recede to the background or move to the foreground.

I did see the following video, in which a printable 'watermark' is created:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13WR6Q-mIQ

The watermark created in this video is behind multiple cells. If I represented the dates in my calendar in a similar fashion I would need a separate watermark for each cell and I would need for those watermarks to be attached to, and resized along with, each cell to which it is associated. Is this possible?

I'm thinking the answer to this is no, but is there a way in Excel to have one spreadsheet behind another where the cells are tied to one another - creating a layered spreadsheet? (I wondered about this once before when I was contemplating a 3-dimensional spreadsheet.) If this is somehow possible, perhaps I could use this layering of cells to make my calendar.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back