£ sign issue (Excel 2010)

Corleone

Office Version
  1. 365
I have copied over some data from a website into excel which is made up of 2 columns and a few thousand rows
within the rows of data are randomly placed costs which i would like to filter out, they all all a £ sign in front of them.

I was hoping to be able to do a custom filter to filter these out, however excel doesn't seem to recognise that this £ sign is there.
I am unable to simple filter on numbers as there are other values within these rows which are not costs, the only factor that identifies the costs is the £ sign.

If i click in one of the cells it just shows the number in the edit bar but not the £ sign
Is there a way of making this £ sign active and therefore filter able

Thanks

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
It sounds like a display format issue. Try:

Select both columns \ right click \ format cells \ select GENERAL number format \ OK

Upvote 0
It sounds like a display format issue. Try:

Select both columns \ right click \ format cells \ select GENERAL number format \ OK
That just removes the £ sign though - i need to keep that so that i can use it to filter on
cheers

Upvote 0
If your cell is formatted as currency in a spare column on the first line of your data put the formula =CELL("format",A1) changing A1 to the cell reference of your first cell and drag down. then filter on that column on the value beginning with C (in my case C2).

Edit: Please note that you might need to force a calculation.

Upvote 0
If your cell is formatted as currency in a spare column on the first line of your data put the formula =CELL("format",A1) changing A1 to the cell reference of your first cell and drag down. then filter on that column on the value beginning with C (in my case C2).

Edit: Please note that you might need to force a calculation.
Many thanks - Thats worked a treat

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back