Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2013
  4. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All
My grandson wants to learn coding ( 7 years old mind you !!)...I don't know which way to advise him, I thought Python might be the simplest, but the school told him to learn Java.
I'd be more than happy to hear expert opinions on which way he should go, and also where he might be able to do free online learning.
He is special need ( slightly on the spectrum) but seems to understand simple coding in VBA...."Hello world !" stuff....and is as keen as mustard to learn.....the little devil might end up being a coding Savant !!
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers to all

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Hey Michael,
I think thinks like Java is probably a good one to learn W3 Schools has great on-line tutorial for Java that I used when I had to learn it. It is pretty good.
You can see it here: Introduction to Java

Thanks Joe....and also thank you for the link....I'm really too old for teaching a 7 year old to code...:confused::confused:

Hi,
Most Junior schools in the UK use "Scratch" and as far as I know, scratch-3 is based on javascript.
Did his school say java or javascript? It might be worth investigating that a little further.

Paul.

Thanks Paul
They certainly aren't using "Scratch", but I do recall some mention of JavaScript.
I will investigate and check your link. Many thanks for your Input. (y) :cool:

Michael there are a couple of things i would consider in this situation. everyone would agree that VBA is old hat, but if you are going to be teaching a 7yo, the main aim is to have fun and maintain their interest whilst imparting best algorithm practice. ultimately what makes a good programmer is not the language, but the ability to devise an algorithm that solves the problem. the language is largely immaterial for simple applications.

i have a mate who has recently qualified in programming who uses various new languages. i ask him for help when it comes to heavy scraping that i cant get my head around. he will solve the issue in, say java or visual studio, then i port it to VBA. but he will still ask me how do implement some odd thing and often i drag out some old fashion method that would run with 1Mb of RAM and use a 2kb file which does exactly what he wants but has not even been taught in his degree.

I would encourage you to use the language you are most confident with because you will be able to imagine lots of fun projects you can share your 7yo. if he turns out to do programming later on, he will pick up a language in no time. after all i started programming in Fortran and 6502, LOL

OMG...Fortran...that takes me back.
Thx for your input..some very good points.
But sadly he"s you typical 7 yr old....he"s moved on...he likes horses now ??

"horses" - well its better than impersonating Elvis-es (is that even a word)

"Elvi" is the plural for more than one Elvis....according to the festival experts !!
Horses are waaay more expensive than coding though.....hate to think what might be next !!

living in the bush i know a number of 'horsey people' they are always dipping into the pockets for horses. and dont get me going on equine vet bills :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THMarana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back