left$ vs. left puzzler

Gates Is Antichrist

I thought there was no difference. The following sounds like a lot, but it's really a quick way to show what I mean.

Create 2 tables, all text:
table:T1
T1Field1

table:T2
T2Field1
T2Field2

Put 3 records in T1 - "0" in each is fine
Put 3 pairs of values in T2, where *NONE* of them match T1
1 2
1 2
1 2

Then this will fail ("Data type mismatch in criteria expression"):
SELECT Left$([t2field2],1) AS Expr2
FROM T1 LEFT JOIN T2 ON T1.T1Field1 = T2.T2Field1
GROUP BY Left$([t2field2],1);

Additionally strange is that you can change Left$ to left, and it works.
OR you can change LEFT JOIN to INNER JOIN, and it doesn't get any joins, but there are no errors. You get an empty return set, which is correct.

Removing the "GROUP BY" also provides interestingly different results (while using the LEFT JOIN).

What's up here? In particular, what is the difference between Left$ and Left ?? Remember, all fields are text - if that's what you're thinking.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hi GIA
I'm struggling to find the reason for the difference but the only thing I can add is that the Left$ function returns an error if there is no data, whereas I believe the Left function returns a null value in the same circumstances. As for why? :unsure:
Andrew

Upvote 0
Thanks for looking at this. After the long cold silence following the post, I self-contemplated that it might simply be insane - which wouldn't be the first time. After hearing Andrew, I feel that I have now been blessed non-crazy :rolleyes:

I think your Null point is meaningful here.

Upvote 0
I tried trapping the error in a select query using IsError() with the intention of substituting a zero length string, but without success.....I figured it's just easier to use the Left() function instead.

You're not crazy - the long cold silence may in fact have been a stunned reaction to your lipstick-wearing sheep avatar......

Cheers, A

Upvote 0
It's a Kiwi sheep, but you don't want to hear the story. Trust me.

I recommend that you just go with it being something on the Gates theme instead :devilish:

Upvote 0
Yes....

IsNull(Left(Null,1))
is TRUE, while

IsError(Left$(Null,1))
is too elusive.

I agree with your conclusions. I'll stick to Left unless I want an error to "jump out at me" instead of permitting a null value to silent slipp by.

In the past I've seen chatter about "disambiguating" via prefixes like VBA. and VBS. when using these in VBA. I don't see that that matters in a standard installation. It doesn't seem to matter for me, anyway :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back