Library Tracking System

Reepicheep

Mini-Library Tracking System (Microsoft Excel)

For this project, the students are expected to come up with a mini-library tracking system for a small classroom shelf; the project will consist of at least 3 worksheets.

One worksheet will contain a list of at least 30 books. In this list the following information should be listed: Catalog Number, Title, Author, classification, and copies available.

Another worksheet contains the ledger of the transactions of all borrowers (only 10 possible borrowers at a time). Everytime a person borrows or returns, it will be recorded in another worksheet. It should contain columns for catalog number as the search key and the borrower's name, whether the transaction is to borrow or return the book and the date of transaction. (suggestion: use the code 1 for borrowing and -1 for returning).

There should be two summary features for this project: a search key for the book, a summary sheet of borrowerrs (output how many books are still with each user).

Computer project. I already have an idea on how to do the search thing but.. I still don't have any idea on how to do the second feature. Help?

Another thing, using vlookup, i can only search book descriptions using the title. If i search using the catalog number, it returns as #N/A. Am i using the wrong function? The **** teacher wants it that i can search using the title and the catalog number.

Thanks a lot.

:confused:

File here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F33B2QCT

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Welcome to the Board!

The **** teacher wants it that i can search using the title and the catalog number.

And you're having a problem where?

Please note that we are all very sheltered here and do not get much experience with actual homework, what with jobs and all...If you would show us what you've done so far to solve the problem, then I am sure that someone will find a way to help out.

Smitty

Upvote 0
How do i search a book then using the catalog number and the title? As of now, i can only search using the title only using vlookup.

How is your data structured?

You can use a combination of INDEX & MATCH for multiple criteria lookups, or add a helper column and concatenate data for VLOOKUP.

But wouldn't Catalog number be unique?

Try posting a shot of your sheet (HINT: See the link beneath my sig).

Smitty

(Nice Tom).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oksanana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back